Part Eight

*flashback*

It was finally Saturday. Luke had asked me to sit in on one of his band practices today and I had been excited all week. I havent heard them play for almost a month and I was looking forward to seeing how much better they had gotten. 

Luke picked me up at three and we headed over to Ashton's house. 

After a good month of arguing Ashton had finally convinced his parents to let them use their garage as practice space. They only agreed if Ashton promised to get his grades up and stop skipping classes. 

Ashton lived about thirty minutes away so the whole way there Luke and I jammed to his Good Charlotte cd. When we finally pulled up we saw the garage door pulled up and the other three guys were already there waiting. 

I sat and watched them practice for two hours before Michael finally complained about being hungry so they all stopped to go grab some food, but I decided to just hangout in the gargage. About 10 minutes later they all came back in. 

We were all sitting around the garage talking because they still hadnt finished their break. This was only the second band practive I had sat in on so I was still geting comfortable around Ashton and Michael. The both seemed like pretty good guys though. 

We started joking around about how Calum wanted to be a professional wrestler when he was younger and Calum was getting really embarrassed. 

The next thing I new I was slung over Calum's shoulder and thrown onto the couch onto my back as Calum laid on top of me. 

"Remember when we used to wrestle all the time? I can so still kick your ass." Calum laughed as he picked me up and spun me around. 

All the guys were laughing hysterically. Well all of them except Luke. He looked like he had just been ripped into a million pieces. 

After Calum put me down I went over and sat down next to Luke and tried to hold his hand, but he pulled it away. What the hell was his problem?

Luke avoided me for the rest of the band practice. It ran late so we didnt leave Ashton's house until nine, and that was only because his neighbors started complaining about the noise. 

"Luke can we go to the park?" I finally decided to break the awkward silence in the car. He didnt answer me, but thirty minutes later we pulled up at the park. 

I got out and headed straight for the swings. I had loved swings since as long as I remembered. My dad used to push me on the swings before he left me and my mom. I guess they just reminded me of how things use to be. 

Luke alwasy pushed me when we came to the park, but today he went straight to the bench and sat down. I got up and decided to go see what was up with him today. 

"Luke, whats going on? You seem so distant." I asked as I sat down next to him on the bench. He scooted away from me. 

"Luke, please talk to me." I begged. 

"Cassie, I need to tell you something. " I heard him whisper. 

"Of course, you can tell me anything. You know that. " I gave him a pleading look, begging him to go on. 

"I dont think im good enough for you." He finally looked at me and I could see the tears filling his eyes. 

"What, thats-" But he cut me off. 

"Please let me finish. I saw the way you were acting with Calum back there. I saw the way he was looking at you. There was pure love in his eyes. He's in love with you, and I dont know if I'll ever be able to look at you like that. Cassie, I really like you, but im only seventeen. I dont even know what love is yet. I just dont want to end up hurting you. " Luke said as he let a few tears slip out. 

I was speechless, so I set my hand on Luke's to let him know that it was okay. 

"We can figure this out." I finally choked out through my tears.

"Do you love me Cassie?" Luke asked me. 

I was shocked. I knew I loved Luke, but I wasnt ready to tell him yet. He just said that he didnt know if he would ever love me. I couldnt bare to say it and not hear it back. 

So I did the first thing that came to mind. 

"No Luke, I dont." I lied. 

I could practically see his heart break. He put his head in his hands and didnt say anything. 

I left Luke alone on the bench while I went and sat on the swings. 

The happy memory of my dad was now replaced with the memory of the look of heartbreak on Luke's face when I said I didnt love him.  

We sat there in silence for hours. Luke finally got up, walked over, and started pushing me on the swing. 

I knew we were gonna be okay. 

I never would have thought that two days later he would be gone.