Part Seven

When I woke up I couldnt remember where I was. The light was blinding but as my eyes adjusted I saw the graffittied walls around me. 

I jumped up and hurried out of the treehouse grabbing the cd on my way. As I pulled back into town I headed home to check in with my mom. She was gonna be pissed. 

"Cassie, where the hell have you been?" My mom shouted at me before I even got all the way through the door. 

"Mom, Im sorry, I know you're mad but I really cant tell you where I was. Please just trust me that I didnt do anything bad." I wasnt about to tell my mom and mine and Luke's secret spot. 

"Cassie, please dont do this to me. I dont want to have to worry about you all the time. I know you're having a hard time right now with Luke being gone, but you cant use that as an excuse to break the rules. I'll let you off with a warning this time, but next time please at least text me and say that you wont be coming home."

"Yeah, of course. I really am sorry mom. It wont happen again." I explained before I grabbed my purse and started to head out the door. 

"Where are you going?" My mom asked. 

"I have to go see someone." I didnt axplain any further before I slipped out the door and left. 

I goit in my car and drove straight to Luke's house. I had been thinking and I realized that since Luke left, his mom was all alone in that big house. He had never met his dad because he died when Luke was two, and all his brothers are grown up and moved out. 

I pulled up to the huge white house and knocked on the door. When Liz saw me she didnt look suprised at all. It was like she knew I would be back sooner or later. 

"Cassie, Im sorry but I havent heard from him yet. It;s been six days. I dont know why he hasnt called." She started rambling before I could even get a word out. 

"No, its okay. Im not here about Luke. I just wanted to see how you were doing. I know you're alone now since Luke left. I wanted to see if maybe you wanted to do something."

She smiled at me as she held the door open for me to come in. 

"Just give me a minute to go gab my purse and we will go out and get some coffee. Im tired of sitting in this house."

About five minutes later she came out of her room with a different outfit on and her purse in her hand. 

As we headed out the door I offered to drive but she insisted that she did. The whole way to Starbucks we were so deep into conversation about how Jack, one of her other sons, was getting married soon, that I didnt even realize we had pulled into the parking lot. 

We ordered out coffees, me insisting that I paid for hers, and sat down at a little table in the corner. 

"Did you know that this is where Luke and I met?" I asked her as I chuckled at the memory. 

"Yeah, I remember Luke coming home and he smelled overwhelmingly like coffee. When I asked him why he just smiled and walked away. He didnt tell me the story until later that night when we were eating dinner. I remember the way he blushed when he said your name." Liz laughed as she talked. It was good to see her happy again. 

We made small talk for another hour before we finally left and headed back to her house. 

As we were driving I just sat there looking out the window thinking about everything that had happened these past few days. 

But my daydreaming was cut short when we passed the park. The park that I was just at last week, even though it seemed like forever ago. The night that I never told anyone about. The night that changed everything. 

The night that I would always regret.