Chapter 21: The Birthday Party

Whenever any event approaching, mother will be the most excited person. No matter how small the event is, she will take this opportunity to doll her children up.

"No, not this one"

"No"

"This won't do"

I sighed in impatience. Mother, couldn't you just take anything I could wear? I think I have waited for you to choose only a dress for almost an hour.

"Ann! Where are most of your dresses?"

"I sold it"

"You s- what!?" While she yelled in that high pitched voice if hers, her eyes widened in disbelief. "Why?"

"I... don't think it suits my taste anymore" I answered while remembering the dresses that I throw out to make more space for my wardrobe.

Too frilly, old-fashioned, gaudy, too sexy, too childish and most importantly, too many. I keep having a hard time picking a suitable attire while rummaging whole clothes with the maids. Keep it simple and you'll have an easier life~

"I don't know to pick a dress would be such a hard thing for mama to do" I teased her as Mother only smiled in response.

"I want my daughter to look the best and most beautiful at the party"

"But shouldn't mama getting ready too?" I pointed at the clock.

Knowing she wouldn't have enough time for herself right now, she quickly asked Miriam to get me ready.

Haih, mother should have asked the maids to dress me up in the first place.

My right hand reached the hand of the butler while being extra careful of my steps when stepping down from the carriage. I couldn't afford to ruin the makeover that took a lot of efforts on me. Followed by Felix, we were guided by the butler to the Diamond Palace where the party will be held at.

Diamond Palace, or also known as the first palace is where the King lives, where most kingdom's luxury could be found here. Stand tall with white polished wall and blue roof, filled with marvellous marble statues on the outside, but statues made of precious stones on the inside. The walls were adorned with various jewels, the ceiling was decorated with chandeliers made of gems. So many gemstones and most of them are diamonds. So that's why it was called Diamond Palace.

My head slightly looked upward to see the proud castle that I haven't seen for a long time. I think the last time I saw it... Ah, bad memories suddenly arise the moment I remember my execution day. I don't have a good memory of this palace.

The moment we reached the hall, most of the eyes were concentrated on us, to be specific, on my snow-haired mother, Duchess Amelie who wore a rather elegant gold silk gown. But mother acts as if it didn't bother her even a bit.

"Lady Annelestia," said a voice as I turned to look at the person.

His usually black messy hair was slicked while he's wearing a dark blue suit with a grey tie. Sky looks like a dignified noble boy, nothing like his usual messy appearance.

"Ah, Sir Sky. Nice to meet you" I said as I perform a curtise. While peered at my whole attire, he suddenly chuckled.

"Why?"

"You look like a couple together with that Prime Minister's son"

Prime Minister's son? Did he mean that guy with bird-like hair?