Chapter 24: Hidden Fight

In my memories, Layle Anatasia Fe Rozen is a girl with a never ill intention. Naive yet kind. Tenderhearted but brave.

Although she was afraid, although it's obvious she wanted to cry, although it is hard, she keeps going forward without giving up. She's very determined despite the difficulty.

Yet, she had one pure thing that I hate. Happy, sad or even angry, no matter what expression she wore, it will always have the stupidity and innocence shown in her eyes. And that look will always make me want to rip her face apart and bulge her doe eyes out.

I am sick of that scared but at the same time serious face. I hate her gut to keep being tough although knowing she's weak.

But the Layle in front of me was different. Her eyes never empty like this, it will always full of life. Her gaze was never cold. Instead, it will full of wonder and sparkle. Not just that, she never put on a very cold expression like this, as if bored and giving up living in the world.

She is very... different. Is it because she felt helpless for being sick? After all, the Layle I knew was healthy and healed from her illness.

"Miss Annelestia, you came!" all of the sudden, that expression disappear, replaced by a cheerful face with a soft smile.

Although she's being the Layle I knew right now, the old Layle was always obvious and had everything written on her face. The one in front of me was slightly hidden, I couldn't read her at all.

'Who is she?' I thought deeply.

Though I couldn't understand what happened, I need to keep going with the flow. I smiled in return, a plastic smile just for her. "Good day, Miss Layle. It was nice to know you"

We keep smiling to each other while not saying anything, as if both of us knew we're being fake. After a few seconds, Layle broke the silence.

"Please take a seat" with a gentle face and voice, she gestures me to sit on the chair placed right beside her bed. That chair was probably provided for me.

"Thank you"

Beside the chair was a small table with teapot and cups on it, with some desserts placed beside them.

"I'm sorry I couldn't accompany you for tea, but I hope you enjoy the tea made in our resident"

"That was already thoughtful enough for me"

"..."

"..."

After a few exchanges of words, we didn't say anything. Did we really meet for the sake of formality, not friendship?

We become silent while remaining the smiles on our faces. Sometimes, I would drink the tea or Layle will stare out through her window to lessen the awkwardness. And it was tensing.

As if we're enemy facing to each other, peering other's movements and being careful with our own words and action, not willing to show any weakness.

And strange, Layle doesn't seem to be bothered by the tense silence. Didn't she rarely meet strangers? How could she act as if it was normal for her?

After a long silence, she turned toward me and gave a smile. "Miss Annelestia, I heard there are woods beside the Diamax's manor. I am a little curious about the woods. Could you tell me about it?"

'Why suddenly she asks about the woods?' I thought, being suspicious about her question, knowing that it wouldn't be something random.

"I don't know much about that woods, but sure I'll tell you," I said while act as if there's nothing wrong. "I just know that woods was small and old, but has a lot of magical beasts. Ah! Magic stones can be found there"