We Were Too Close To The Stars

Aka: Five Times Boris Says I Love You + The One Time Theo Said It Back

One:

They were laying by the pool, sharing a cigarette. The moon was full, and they were wide awake.

Theo took a drag of the cigarette, and handed it back to Boris. Their fingers brushed lightly against the others, causing Theo's heart to start hammering.

Why did it do this?

It didn't matter. Nothing mattered except them, and the night sky. Theo slowly turned his head to look at Boris.

He was looking up at the sky, mouthing something that looked like song lyrics. He looked sleepy, cold, and stoned all at the same time.

" Hey, Potter?" Boris said suddenly, turning his head to look at Theo.

" Yeah?"

" Have you ever been in love?" he asked. It was such an innocent question. There was no smirk or biting remark behind it.

" What the actual fu-" Theo was cut off before he could even finish.

" No, no! Shut up! Listen!" Boris smacked his arm, then continued, " I was thinking about it, okay? How do you even know you're in love with someone?"

" I loved my mother. There. Happy?" Theo scoffed.

" No, not like that. Like, other love. Love that is not family."

" Oh."

" So, have you?" Boris asked, looking a little eager.

" No," Theo said, his tone rough.

" What about your red head?" Boris asked curiously.

" Shut the fuck up," Theo growled.

" No, am serious! What was her name? Pippa! Right, is Pippa!"

" Can we talk about something else? Please?"

" So, you don't love her?" Boris continued. Theo let out an annoyed huff.

" I don't know. Sure," Theo said.

Sure?

The more Theo thought about it, the more abnormal it sounded.

I love Pippa.

He repeated it in his mind. It didn't sound right.

I love you, Pippa.

He cringed. That sounded wrong. It sounded weird.

I love you, Bo-

Stop.

Guilt filled his heart. He could never allow himself to say that. That wasn't allowed.

" Do you, or not?" Boris asked, snapping Theo out of his trance.

No.

" Stop asking. I have no idea."

Boris put his hands up in surrender. He turned back towards the sky, and started mouthing song lyrics again.

Suddenly, some amount of time later, Boris turned back again.

" Potter, I love you."

Holy shit.

" No, you really don't," Theo responded.

" Yes, Potter. I really do. Am in love with you," Boris declared.