Can't remember to forget you

Jeffrey

           Chapter 9

"Janet...I'm dying."

Janet squints, and she shakes her head. "Wait...are you serious?"

I nod my head, as tears try to form in the corner of my eyes. "I just wanted to finally come clean to you about why I left."

A look of confusion comes upon her face. "Why are you dying Jeffrey?"

I rub down my face, then I rub simultaneously on my chin hair. "I have...." I clear my throat. "I have...prostate cancer."

Janet's eyes grew big, and she put her hand on her chest. "Oh my gosh." Aaliyah says appearing from behind Janet.

"I'm on my way to the docks now, I've been doing a lot of things I've always wanted before that day comes. So I'm going to go on a cruise which is leaving at midnight tonight."

"I don't know what to say. I just never thought of the reason being your health. I mean why didn't you just tell us." Janet says grabbing ahold of my hand.

Aaliyah comes up beside me lightly rubbing my back. She nods in agreement with Janet.

"It was just something I wasn't comfortable with sharing. But I didn't want you guys finding out when you show up at my funeral.  So I started thinking, and I just decided it was time."

Tears form in Janet's eyes. She pulls me into a hug, and she rubs my back. "Your going to be okay,  nobody knows when it's your time to go but god."

I could no longer hold back the tears, they just begin to spurt from my eyes uncontrollably. My father died because of cancer eight years ago, and that's half the reason I left Los Angeles during college.

"I'm so sorry for the way I spoke to you. And the way I've been acting towards you."

"Yeah me too Jeffrey." Aaliyah says, and I pull away from their embrace after a few seconds of them comforting me.

"I gotta go." I faintly smile at them, and I rub down my face.

"Goodbye Jeffrey." They both say in unison as I walk back towards my car. 

Getting in my car I drive away without looking back. Now that I finally got that off of my chest, I still don't feel any different. Knowing that this cancer is the reason I lost two very important women in my life has really had me thinking. Is it worth fighting for, is it worth it. Do I really need to be here any longer. I just don't understand why this had to happen to me, out off all my fathers boys.

I'm the only successful one, my brothers  aren't doing anything meaningful with their life. Jeremy is in prison, Jeremiah has several kids with different women, and no job.

I know it's selfish of me to think but I can't help it.

I arrive at the doc ten minutes til twelve, I grab my only suitcase, lock my car, and I walk up the ramp that leads to the boat.

After finding my room I sit my things on the bed, and I search for my phone. I find it in the pocket of my bag. I dial up Dimitri's number before we leave, knowing I might not have a connection later on today.

He doesn't answer so I decide to just leave a voicemail. "Dimitri.... I can no longer be apart of your little scheme, so loose my number, and I don't ever want to see you or hear from you again."

I hang up the phone, and exhale the air I was holding in through that whole passage.

"I hope he just forgets about this whole thing, and leave her alone." I say to myself. I change out of my regular clothes, and put on my tropical wear to get ready for the party.