Cigarettes- Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Your POV

I could not believe what I was seeing. The buildings, people, streets, fancy carriages moving without horses. It all looked foreign to me. Not one bit of it looked familiar but it was beautiful.

Zeke had warned me about the lifestyle here, that I'm an Eldian and I won't be treated too fairly but as long as I don't go wandering around outside of Liberio and avoid conflict I should be fine.

We made it to his house, or our home? Or more like an apartment room. He told me that I was in the process of moving in with him right before all this happened.

He held the door open for me and I start to curiously look around the home. I take my time looking at everything hoping for a memory to trigger. His apartment was small and cluttered with books and papers, which he warned me about.
Zeke just stands awkwardly in a corner with his arms folded.

"I can show you to your room."
Nodding his head to follow him.

It was a small but cozy room. There was a full sized bed with one small night stand, a small closet and a vanity. Zeke follows me with his eyes as I'm looking at details

"I will be sleeping in the living room. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, so please let me know if you do."

I appreciated him for that.
"Thank you Zeke, that's kind of you."

Time skip

The next few days had felt a little awkward for me. Zeke would be gone every morning when I woke up but would have breakfast prepared for me, he would leave me little notes to let me know when he would be back and to just rest at the house. Whenever he would come back home he would bring ingredients for dinner. He made the first meal but it wasn't all that great, and he admitted it too. I started to make dinner from now on. The kitchen was small, well if you even want to call it a kitchen, more like a stove and sink but I made it work. Cooking became easy to me. The smell from the food I was making was familiar to me but not enough to remember much.

After dinner we would take turns using the bath and Zeke would make us some tea while we sat in the small living room to chat. He would teach me history about Marley, Subjects of Ymir, etc. I didn't feel any type of way about their military except that young children participated in it which made me uncomfortable at the thought of that. A month had gone by and I started to grow bored of the routine. Zeke was gone for longer periods of time and I was anxious to go roam the city which he promised he'd show me but never got around to.

The next morning I finally decided to go off on my own while he was gone again. I didn't know what to expect or where to go but I just let my curious mind lead me. I wandered around and ended up in a street full of markets. The things they were selling all seemed strange to me. They had fish and other strange creatures from the ocean that they seem to enjoy eating.

I can't help but smile while roaming the streets, watching the people around me was fascinating. I felt someone grab me by my arm waking me up from my trance.

"(Y/n), are you lost?" I turn back and it was that husky blond man, the one that was with Zeke at the hospital when I first woke up.

"Oh hi, no, I don't think so"

He replies "Ah ok, sorry I didn't introduce myself before, I'm Reiner." He put his hand out for me to shake. It was big but his handshake wasn't as firm as I was expecting, it felt safe and friendly.

Running behind him were four children. "This is Gabi, Udo, Zofia and Falco."

They all waved hello to me and I of course greeted them back.

"Do they all belong to you?" I asked

Reiner laughs "Hahaha god no. The only one related to me is Gabi, we're cousins; all four of them are Warrior cadets"

I was stunned at his reply
"But they're all are so young!"

Gabi begins to chatter about their intense training and the skills they have that got them this far. She seemed so passionate about everything she was talking about.

All of us continue to walk and they showed me around the town.

" It's so sad that you've lost your memories, it must be difficult to re adjust." Udo says.

"It is but I'm glad I came out today and got the chance to meet all of you" he blushed as I patted him on the head.

I was so grateful for their kindness to me, including Reiner, who I started to feel bad for judging. They took me to see their training grounds and then I heard a familiar voice.

"(Y/n)! What are you doing here!?" It was Zeke.

"We ran into (y/n) while shopping at the market. I can't believe you haven't shown her around. You keeping her hostage or something?" Reiner jokes

"Of course not. I've just been busy these last couple of weeks." He turns his attention to me while placing his big hand on top of my small shoulder
"Sorry (y/n), forgive me?"

I give him a soft smile "Of course."

After that, we all chatted for a bit and went our separate ways. Zeke insisted that we leave right away. He then took me to the top of an old building, the view under us was amazing during the suns golden hour.

Zeke has his back leaned against the tall cement railing in a slouching position with his hands in his pockets. Everything about his stance and orah was cool to me. He was so laid back, being next to him made me feel comfortable.

"So have you talked to your superiors about our situation?" I ask

He lights up a cigarette and takes his first drag before responding to my question.

"Yes. They reacted how I expected them to but I re assured them that you wouldn't be a problem." He says in mellow tone.

"Oh, ok then."

He didn't seem too talkative today so I keep initiating short conversations. Occasionally during our silence moments I caught myself gazing at him as he would puff out clouds of smoke with his eyes closed in a relaxed state.

"Di-did I use to smoke too?" I asked, intrigued by his cigarette

"Um, not that I knew of."

I curiously watch him take another drag. "Can I try?"

Zeke raises one eyebrow at me and slowly let's out another puff of smoke "Sure"

He hands it to me and I slowly take it from him, my fingers brushing against his rough ones. I look at the cigarette for a second before putting it in my mouth, I could see Zeke from the corner of my eye staring at my face waiting for my reaction. I take a small drag and the nasty bitter taste goes straight into my throat. I start to cough uncontrollably. Zeke was trying his best not to laugh but fails

" Are you ok??" He asks while getting his laughter under control.

"No, that was disgusting!" I say while handing the cigarette back to him. He wipes away a tear he had from the funny commotion and exhaled loudly as if he was worn out. I start to giggle acknowledging that it was pretty funny.

"I haven't had a good laugh like that in awhile." he chuckled.

"Well I guess I'm definitely not a smoker." I say embarrassed

"Most definitely not. But maybe you're more of a drinker. There is a bar I like to go to, it's on the way back to the apartment if you want to grab a quick drink?" I agreed and we make our way there.