Chapter 20

Avery's POV

I wake up the next morning in an empty bed. At first I have no idea where I am, but I soon remember coming to Louis' house. I sit up slowly and glance around the room. It's so comfortable and warm in his bed, I really don't want to get up.

"Louis?" I call. Where is he?

I lean over and turn on the lamp on his bedside table. I notice a sticky note stuck onto my phone.

Morning sunshine :) I left some breakfast for you on the table. Just relax and get some rest, I'll be back in a little bit. -Lou

I smile at my best friend's chicken scratch on the piece of paper. I don't know what I would do without him.

I sigh and lean back into the comfortable bed sheets as the events of last night start to seep back into my memory.

Louis knows.

My breathing begins to accelerate as I remember the look on his face. He looked completely broken when he realized what I had been hiding from him from so long, and that hurts more than anything.

I look at the note again and sigh as I finally get up and head to the kitchen where sure enough, there is my breakfast lying on the table covered up by a napkin.

His mom isn't here, but that is nothing new. Her work schedule is crazy.

Eggs, bacon, grits, and toast is laid out in front of me and I smile as I sit down at the table alone. Louis knows exactly how I like my eggs, and he didn't forget the cheese for my grits. What would I do without that sassy bundle of joy? I laugh at my stupid description of my best friend and dig into the food in front of me, and it taste just as good as it looks.

After I finally finish eating I look at the time. It's almost 10 o'clock and I know the longer I stay, the more trouble I could get in. I can't stay here forever; I will have to go home eventually. I can't stay here and continue to think about what will happen when I get home.

So after I clean up my mess and change back into my clothes, I grab a pen and a notepad.

Hey Lou, thanks for breakfast and everything you have done for me, I have to get home. I don't want to worry dad too much. I'll talk to you later, love you :)

I leave the note on the counter and step out the back door. There is a short cut through the woods that connects the two streets that we live on. It's a pretty clear path, and I have traveled it plenty of times in the past.

I take a deep breath and start my 15 minute walk to hell.

***

"Where the hell have you been you ignorant, useless, piece of shit girl!?" Jack yells as soon as I step foot in the living room. Before I can open my mouth, he is stumbling over at me with an empty beer bottle in hand.

"I was-"

"I don't care where you were! I don't want to see your face down here again tonight! Go you ass to bed NOW!"

I cringe as he yells in my face, the smell of beer rushes to my nose, and it is quite disgusting.

I feel him grab my arm roughly and shove me towards the stairs. I thought I was going to get off easy when he did this, but I was proven wrong when I feel the beer bottle smash against the middle of my back. I yelp in pain as I am shoved, making me stumble on top of the stairs.

Jack huffs and wobbles angrily into the other room. A wave of relief rushes over me now that he is gone, but that does not stop the pain I feel all over me again.