Chapter 26

I can’t breathe. I feel like my world just collapsed when I see who the message Avery is replying to is from. I don’t understand. I was gone for one day. One fucking day and Niall already has fed her a bunch of bullshit, and slithered his way in her head. The exact thing I was afraid of.

I unwillingly notice her lips turn into a small smile. I can’t help but notice the happiness coming off of her. It feels like it is crushing me. Niall has always been a threat. He is a threat because he has the characteristics I don’t. He lets people think he is the perfect boyfriend, but in reality he isn’t. I know the real Niall, and I don’t like him.

When she looks back up at me, the sadness I feel slowly turns into anger. Not anger to her, but anger at myself for falling for the girl I am not capable of having. I can’t keep trying to hang on; it hurts too much knowing I will never be able to pull myself together enough to climb up. I have fucked my life up to much to be loved, and now I have done the worst possible thing.

I have fallen in love with someone I don’t deserve, and I can’t manage to break free.

“Harry. Are you okay?” she asks quietly. I want to scream at her. Yell in her face. Anything but show her just how much that text message just crushed me, but I don’t have the energy to raise my voice, and my ribs still feel like knives when I put too much strain on them.

“Hope you have fun.” I reply. I keep my voice as neutral as I can. I know I sound cold and heartless, but I don’t have it in me.

“Harry, it’s not a date. I don’t know where this will go between us.” She says, and that makes it worst.

“Oh so you don’t know what’s going on between you and Niall? What about us Avery? What about the shit we have been through?” I raise my voice slightly and glare at her. I didn’t mean to say that, I sound like an asshole, but I don’t care at this point.

“What about us Harry? You aren’t capable of a relationship obviously! You lead me on, make me feel special, then you step away. You confuse me. You act all nice and like you care, then you push me back?! Niall’s a nice guy Harry; you are just too much of a jerk to realize that!” She yells and I feel like she just stabbed me with a knife.

“I can’t date you Avery. I will hurt you. But I know more about you than you realize.”

“You don’t know shit Harry. You just think you know.” She says harshly.

“I understand you more than Niall ever would.” I say quietly. I can’t yell at her. Not like this, because I know part of what she is saying is right.

“No Harry you don’t. Please don’t do this. I came to see how you were doing, not fight over Niall.” She surprises me with her sudden change of tone. She sounds exhausted and I know she doesn’t want to do this no more than I do.

“Have fun.” I reply. I have to struggle to keep my voice sounding like I don’t care, even though I care a hell of a lot more than she would ever realize.

“I don’t have to leave yet Harry, I wanted to see you.” She says and I feel a little better knowing she wanted to see me, but I can’t be around her right now.