Chapter 16: The Next Move

Caroline's P.O.V

As we remain trapped by the two seals I watch Cassia carve out the star into the ground, she sets up fire on torches. There is nothing that we can do except bang on the invisible seals that have confined us like inside a tight box; Klaus hammers his fist down into the seal, he seemed afraid but his deep anger hid it, Tyler punched the seal at the same time, but no difference.

"Rebekah." I called out to her.

Rebekah just stood still, shut off from the world and oblivious to whatever comes her way. I walk over to her and pat her on the back, she finally switches back on and notices me.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"When me and my brothers came here I thought that maybe it was a fresh start, at the dance with Matt I never told him about how I felt. In fact I even wanted to ask him to go with me, my life was just beginning, but now I may never get that chance."

I feel the same way, I think to myself.

"Like how I feel about your brother."

Rebekah looks at me as though I've caught her interest.

"Nik's a better person when he's with you, you're all he's really talked about since we all came here. You and Elena actually, I'm glad my brothers have you and Elena."

Her words inspire me, perhaps I should tell Klaus how I feel, I don't want to make the same mistake as her.

"Klaus." He turns to face me in a tantrum-raged state.

I feel scared, he calms down and I hold his hand, if I can't tell him then I can at least tell him without words, like we both can.

"Caroline." Klaus is trying to say something.

I inch towards him as he does to me, we stop midway and are frozen stiff with no clue of what to do. Klaus moves a little closer but we are still a few metres apart from kissing. Eventually I kiss him and I mean it with all of my heart.

When our lips break apart we are both speechless but I know what to say:

"Klaus, I should have told you when we first met in the woods. I love you."

"I love you too."

"No, I mean it and if we get out of this there's something else I want to tell you, but I'll say it now..." I get stumped.

If I tell him then everything changes for both of us and it'll all go by fast.

"What is it?"

"Klaus, I'll go with you like how you offered and asked to take me anywhere."

Klaus widens his eyes and opens his mouth without saying a word, it's as though he's finally going to get everything he wants, but he doesn't say a word.

I don't leave his side either.

*****

Elena's P.O.V

"Let me go. Please!"

Their grips are too strong and I am worried about the baby, I have to break free somehow; where's Elijah?

"What's up with that necklace?" Finn asks.

I look at him puzzled, I've been wondering what has happened to the necklace, but like them I'm but a blank page.

"Esther? its you isn't it?" I say to the blonde woman pulling me along with Finn.

"You're right. It's been a while Elena, I'm afraid the burden of being the doppelgänger has come to you yet again."