Chapter 20: It Ends

Anja's P.O.V

"There is darkness in this world mother, don't you deny it." Cassia says to me forcefully.

"I don't." I reply.

Cassia looks reassured and smiles at me with joy.

"Then help me purify the world, create a new one. Everything will be a lot better, join me."

I have no choice, I thought I could reason with her but I have no choice now: without making any sounds or gestures I cast my spell and it begins.

Cassia strains herself, her neck is covered in black veins, which look like vines. I have to kill my own daughter to keep the peace.

"What are you doing?" Cassia is breathless and suffocating.

"It is a new world Cassia, but it isn't all dark as you perceive it, it ain't all that light either. But it can carry on just as it is, it's no longer your concern."

Cassia falls to the ground, she looks up at me, begging for her life:

"Mother, mother please. I can fix this, all of it. You need me!"

"You've done enough." I say with little remorse and fighting a drifting tear at my eyelid.

Her whole body is dying, she is still alive, but barely. I step over her and look into her eyes, the tear drifts softly down my face:

"Rest in peace, where you belong." I tell her.

I close my eyes and silence befalls upon me. Cassia is dead, my eyes open up again.

It all ends.

*****

Bonnie's P.O.V

"Is it over?" I ask Anja.

Anja doesn't say s word and releases the seal, my friends are free, but where's Elena?

Anja traps Finn and Esther and makes her way to the centre of the star, she reverses the spell, the curse and my friends are all unconscious.

"Jeremy, Matt. Are they ok?"

Matt holds Rebekah to his chest and she is immobile, so are the others.

"What's happened to them?!" I call out to Anja.

"They'll be fine, they're probably a little parched, the spell must've desiccated them a bit."

"Where's Elena?"

"Bonnie." Grams speaks to me from behind.

As I turn to face her she points to Elena, she's standing by a tree in the distance with something in her hand.

*****

Elena's P.O.V

What is left for me in this world?

All that I've done is lose my family, friends and the men I loved. Now with this baby, I can't even begin to express my pessimistic theories of what its future will be, will I be responsible for putting it in danger? Will I be used to try and harm it?

What if I were to die now? Would everything go back to how it was before everything changed? The knife that Cassia used now rests on my right hand palm, if I am to restore peace then I'll kill myself if I have to.

"I'm sorry." I whisper softly looking back at everyone.

"Are you really our daughter?" I hear voices coming from behind.

They were the voices of my mother and father and my aunt Jenna and Alaric are standing with them. As my mother reaches out her hand towards me I drop the knife and hold her hand in mine; I can touch her.

She hugs me tight, I feel like a part of her has returned to me, my father holds me as well and tears if joy leave my eyes.

"I know you've been through hell sweetheart, but it's all over now." My mother tried to comfort me.

"Life is not a great big easy challenge, it has it's ups and downs, but you can always make it the best way possible." my father looks at me proudly but then upset because of the tears.

"You don't have to worry about what happened to us. Elena we are all at peace, we're happy, you can be too." Jenna is so happy.

"None of this is your fault Elena, you are not responsible for any of it." Alaric says.

I hug him and Jenna with great joy and comfort.

"How are you all here?"

"Anja, she knew what you were going through and she brought us back for you. We can't stay, but for now we just need you to know that we're so proud of you, your life is just beginning and you're going to be a mother, you can't throw all of that away."

"I know. You must be disappointed in me."

"No. That is not how we think of you." My father replies.

"It's been an honour for us from the moment you were born to grow into a beautiful young woman. We would have never missed it for the world." My mother says before kissing me on the forehead.

"You'll always be with me, in here." I place my hand over my heart and smile at them greatly, they disappear, smiling brightly, just like I remember them.

Everything's back to being stable and I have to see my friends, I need to speak to Elijah.