Chapter 29: Move On

Damon's P.O.V
'How could she leave without saying anything?!'

I enter her room: I see empty drawers, an empty wardrobe and a small note next to her bed, it's from Elijah.

"Damon." Stefan calls to me.

"Don't start Stefan, Elena's gone, I'm going to find her."

"Did it ever occur to you that Elena doesn't want us to follow her, she's with Elijah, she's happy, that's all she wants."

"The problem, Stefan is that she leaves with him and leaves us a letter and he leaves her a note, I think it's only fitting that I find her."

I speed outside the door and am blocked in the vicinity of the boarding house.

"What's going on?"

"Damon, what's...." Stefan gets trapped too.

"Bonnie!" I exclaim as she, Jeremy and Matt rush outside.

I grope Matt and drag him, his shoes scrape against the ground until I have him yoked up against the wall.

"Take the seal down."

"What seal?" Bonnie asks.

"This seal." Stefan shows the entrapment we are encased inside.

"I didn't do it, Elena must've, she's a witch now, long story."

"Now do you understand Damon?" Stefan asks, he knows that he was right the whole time.

"Take it down." I urge Bonnie.

"I can't, only Elena can."

I release Matt, I'm trapped here now, should've known.

"Great. She's ruined herself, I'm gonna let her, she'll be back in no time."

I storm inside.

"Damon." I ignore Stefan and pay no attention to anyone else, if this is what Elena wants then fine.

When I am inside Stefan turns me to face him.

"Move on, ok?"

"Oh, move on, of course that's the last thing I need."

"This is Elena's life, this is her choice, let her be happy."

I give no reply and stalk off to my room, oblivious to everything around me.

*****
Stefan's P.O.V
"He's never gonna get over this." I tell Bonnie, Jeremy and Matt.

"He's gonna have to, Elena needs him to change for her, for us, for Elijah and the baby." Jeremy's made his point perfectly clear.

I put my finger to my lips, gesturing him to keep quiet.

"Jeremy, Elena doesn't want Damon to know, not yet."

Damon's going to plunge through hell for the next nine months at least, if he can't move on and be happy then it could mean disaster, untold catastrophe for all of us.

"We have to do something about him." Matt suggests, he's right.

"I know."

My own brother needs me.

'I'll do everything I can Elena.'

*****
Elena's P.O.V
As the car speeds across the driveway I turn the pages on the photo album I made for Jeremy.

The memories: birth, kindergarten, preschool, middle school, high school, college and all of our memorable nights together, there is still so much room that I could make new memories, even me Stefan and Damon.

I finally come across the message that my friends left for me:

It's a picture of all of us all together at the dance a few weeks ago; even Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah are included, I even see pictures of us in pairs: Klaus and Caroline, Bonnie and Jeremy, Matt and Rebekah and me and Elijah.

There is a message beneath the pictures:

'Elena, you are the best person that we have ever known, our best friend and no matter where you go, no matter what you do you'll always be with us:
We are a family.
Always and forever.'

"Elijah did you write that at the bottom."

"Yes Elena, I did."

"Is that a catchphrase or something?"

"No, I sort of thought you'd want to be a vampire again, I figured it was the perfect message for you, for when you have everything you want."

I touch the top of his hand, I'm tired, falling asleep.

"You can sleep, it's going to be a long drive, I'll still be here when you wake up."

I close my eyes, lean my head over to the side, almost resting it on top of his shoulder. A bright smile opens up on my face.

"Always and forever." I say before turning myself off.

*****
Elijah's P.O.V
Her face is so peaceful, happy and she is asleep, I shouldn't disturb her. Then traffic lights turn red and I stop the car, turning my attention back to Elena I kiss her softly in the forehead, my eyes close up tightly, I feel as though I'm about to explode.

"True love, never cease to believe in it." I remember Katerina's words to me more than 500 years ago, I understand her now.

When Elena wakes up she'll be in a different place, someplace special and I have something to tell her.

"Elena, you are the one, my one and only true love."

She will know in time, the time is turning fast and a new era is dawning, whatever blossoms in time will come as a surprise or inspiration.

Until then.