Chapter 6: An unexpected reunion

Elena's P.O.V
After the party is finished and I have put away all of the clean dishes and cutlery Tyler and Matt head off, Bonnie gives me a big hug says 'good night' and makes her way out, Caroline hugs me quite tightly, I feel like I may suffocate and says 'happy birthday' to Jeremy as though he is her own little boy, the house is now empty with just me and Jeremy inside of it.

*****
Caroline's P.O.V

'Why did Elijah come here?' Caroline thought to herself.

The time is half past eleven at night and I should head back to Whitmore and go straight to bed. When I arrive at my house I see my car; a Ford Fiesta from 2011, I look at my house realising that my mom will be in bed right now I shouldn't disturb her at this late hour. I step into my car and turn the key in the ignition to get the vehicle in gear as I begin to drive for Whitmore college. Along the way I can't help but think about how Elena said she hot attacked in the woods; by a dead vampire who was brought back from the dead, we all faced this before but how is it still happening? I thought the witch died. I stop the car just outside the woods, step out and make my way in through the trees; as I carry on searching the woods for the vampire I stumble upon the memorial we made for Stefan and Damon; Elena must have come here, if it meant finding even the slightest sight of their faces again, as I stare at the roses (new ones) and possessions of the Salvatore's and the picture of ourselves that we left there I remember telling Elena that we all suffered the loss of the Salvatore brothers and how we almost could have wound up suffering the loss of Elena earlier today, provided Elijah hadn't come to her rescue.

A howl of wind makes a noise in the distance, wait it wasn't wind it was the sound of a vampire moving with its speed, is that vampire still alive or is there another? No it can't be or it would have attacked me by now, unless it wants to bide its time in the lead up to a rampant assault, I should go over to where it is and see what it's up to. I swoosh toward the sound of the noise and look about; there is nothing within a mile of sight, but I can't let it slip away. I scour the area extensively leaving no stone unturned but still no sign of anything, this could be a trap of worse I could end up being killed within only a matter of seconds, I may not be as lucky as Elena but as a vampire I won't go down without a fight. I decide to just remain still and listen for any sudden movement; nothing, but the sense of something behind me, the thought of turning around devours me whole, could this be it for me?

I take a deep breath and close my eyes for a moment as I rotate my body and look towards a shadowy figure that stands a few feet from me:

"Who are you?" I say.

I feel afraid but I stare at the figure with a sense of bravery;'I won't give into fear' I think to myself. Suddenly the figure whooshes around in a circular movement that it now stands a bit closer to me but still concealed by the pitch black shadows, the figure looks distinctly familiar, I edge closer to it but instead the figure steps out of the shadows as light begins to shine over it revealing his face:

"Hello Caroline." he says.

"Klaus." I say.

A feeling of shock overwhelms as I stare into the familiar face of Klaus Mikaelson.