Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal

I thought this was going to be the first match of the season that Dad didn't get to watch with me (the Super Cup doesn't count) because he had a party to go to that started at five, Mum was kinda mad but he got me to drop him off after the match.

After all the talk of high scoring matches and how much Firmino loves it against Arsenal I was really confident we'd see that again, by about thirty minutes I'd convinced myself this has nil nil written all over it. I'm so glad I was wrong!

Straight away, Roberto Firmino almost got on the end of Andrew Robertson's cross-shot. He was inches away from giving Liverpool an early lead.

Adrian quickly became the only man in the Liverpool half as Liverpool pressed Arsenal over and over.

A lack of communication between Van Dijk and Adrian led to a chance for Aubameyang. His shot went wide and they survived it.

Mane had a shot. Liverpool's first effort on target. They were creating a lot of half-chances and whipping in a multitude of crosses. It would have been very easy to get frustrated with how many bodies Arsenal have behind the ball and shoot from anywhere. It felt like a fustration shot but that's what old Liverpool would do.

Nicolas Pepe cut back onto his left foot and took aim for Adrian's top-right corner from outside the penalty area. It was a little close for comfort but wide.

VAR checked for a red card in the penalty box, still don't know what for. Virgil Van Dijk seemed to be telling the ref about a pull or something but nothing given, all it did was break up the reds taking the corner. Nicolas Pepe breaks from the corner and beats Andy Robertson in a one-vs-one. He bares down on Adrian's goal but side-foots it straight at the Liverpool goalkeeper. Henderson mops up.

There was pinball in the Arsenal penalty area after Liverpool win a corner. Trent Alexander-Arnold's effort is eventually deflected out for a throw-in. I really thought that moment was gonna get the reds a goal.

Another corner taken by Trent Alexander-Arnold, Matip scored with a free header!

Bobby Firmino showed insane skill to flick the ball up, totally deceiving the Arsenal man, only for his volley on goal to be blocked. He keeps trying them, it's gonna pay off.

The reds held the lead in the first half again, pretty lucky not to have conceded.

In the second half David Luiz showed off his defending by pulling on Salah's shirt, conceding a penalty and getting booked. Luiz, you're supposed to wait until after the match to swap shirts! That's not a controversial one for VAR to confirm! Salah's face made me think he wasn't going to score it and then his foot produced something special, top corner, no one's saving that!

Liverpool almost counter-attack on Arsenal to bag a third. Bernd Leno rushes out, however, to stifle the chance.

Salah sent David Luiz for the ECHO and then uses his pace to get into the penalty area and curl one into the bottom corner. A superb individual effort to put Liverpool 3-0 up against Arsenal!

Andrew Robertson fires one at goal from inside the penalty area but his effort is blocked. Liverpool keep pushing as Roberto Firmino has an effort saved by Bernd Leno.

Gini Wijnaldum is taken off. James Milner replaced him. I wondered if it was sub time seconds before I saw Milner.

Oxlade-Chamberlain came on against his former club, I wondered if he played against them yet, he has now. Mane went off.

Roberto Firmino claims for a penalty after appearing to be trip by Granit Xhaka. The referee says no. Come on, he needs his goal!

Lucas Torreira pulls one back from just inside the penalty area. The ball broke free between him and Jordan Henderson and he slotted low to Adrian's left. There goes the clean sheet again. I didn't see it but Alisson, come back!

Firmino goes off for Lallana. Four minutes are added. VVD gets booked for handball and finally the points are secured.

Arsenal are a lot better, tougher to score against, much more of a threat but still not enough to beat the mighty Liverpool.

And then were was one on the top of the pile. Three outta three full points! Liverpool, top of the league. Liverpool, Liverpool top of the league!

12 consecutive Premier League wins - a new club record! I wish this was for this season but they're getting there. It's helped us get five points ahead of everyone else, although there's still the Sunday fixtures to go.

Next up Burnley away, Saturday 31st August 2019, 17:30.

Already the last game of August! The last game of Virgil Van Dijk's month on the calendar, I'm hoping he doesn't have so much to do against Burnley. I wonder if we can make Sean Dyche mad about something since his rant game is already strong this season.