Chapter 28

Jeffrey's POV 

Everything was blurry. There was a constant beeping sound in the background and my head hurt. I tried to raise my head to look around and I saw Norman and no one else. Something in my hoped that Mia was there, by my side. I knew what had happened but something made me think I was affected badly because I could swear I heard her voice. Maybe it was just a dream, a wish in my brain. A constant wish.

"Welcome back, man" Norman approached my hospital bed and smiled at me.

"Hey bubba" I said as I tried to sit up but my head didn't let me to do so, because the throbbing pain became much worse as soon as I moved. 

"Chill, dude. You just woke up" my friend laughed. 

"So how fucked up is my face?" I asked, wondering if I looked like shit or not.

"You have some scratches but you look kinda badass if I'm gonna be honest". Good.

"Where's the doctor? Can I go home?" I had just woken up but I was already bored and wanted to go home. "Fuck, my dogs. The farm, Norm. Fuck" I tried to get up again but the dizziness and headache stopped me once again.

"Jesus, you're one eager motherfucker. Your furry kids and the farm are alright, I was there myself. The doc said you can go home tonight or tomorrow if you wake up today" he winked at me. I looked at the clock and it was two in the afternoon. Cool, if I fell asleep again after the doctor saw me maybe I'd be able to sleep until the next day and then go home.

"Who are all these flowers from?" I asked when I noticed bouquets of flowers around.

"TWD family. Also, you have some explanations to do. What the fuck did you think you were doing, texting while driving? You're the one who is against it" my friend was now serious.

"I felt like I had to. There were so many thoughts in my head at that point and it felt like I'd explode if I didn't do anything about it. So I had to text Mia one of my thoughts" I felt guilty for doing what I was against but happy that Mia knew that I still adored her. Or at least I hoped she knew. Grabbing my phone from the table next to me I checked it in hopes to see one text from her but I got nothing. Fucking nothing. The girl was over me.

"About that" Norman said and I looked up immediately. "She was here". Woah. So I heard her voice because she had indeed been in my room. My love was here.

"Did she..? Was she mad at me?".

"Mad? No, of course not. It was just hard for her to see you like this". Fuck I needed her so bad. I wanted her to be next to me and hold my hand and kiss my cheek the way she always. 

I wanted to ask Norman where she was now but maybe she wasn't there for a reason. Maybe she just wanted to check on me and then never see me again. So I never asked. 

"I miss her" I whispered. She was all in my head and I really wished she was there with me instead.

"I know you do" Norman answered right before the doctor came in and started checking me.

"If you take it easy for the next couple of hours I'll let you go today" the doctor said after I literally begged her to let me go home. ''But first, I have to go through some stuff with you'' she said and I nodded. ''No alcohol for the next two weeks, you have to take your medicine and they don't have any effect if you drink alcohol. No intense activities as for example weight lifting, intense jogging. You can cut on the sexual activity for the next few days only if you are too dizzy, and just rest'' she smiled at me. Sexual activity, yeah, like I was gonna get some. Funny. 

I took a nap and three hours later I woke up alone in the room. Come on, I needed to go home, man. I desperately picked up the phone by the bedside table and called a random nurse to let them know I was awake and ready to leave that place.

One hour later I was in Norman's car, on my way home.

"You gotta promise me you're never texting and driving again" Norman's serious tone took over my thoughts about Mia, my farm and work.

"I promise, dad" I rolled my eyes playfully, but I knew it was a matter as serious as possible. I was dumb, stupid.

After getting home and kissing my dogs until they got bored, I went to the bathroom to check my face, realizing that I never did that either at the hospital or in the car. I saw my scratches and realized it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They hurt a lot though; as soon as I lifted up my eyebrows to check the one next to my eyes I hissed in pain.

My bedroom felt cold and empty so before I let my thoughts take over me again I reached for the closet to find comfortable clothes. I looked for my favorite sweatpants for good minutes and while I was taking all my clothes out I stumbled upon one particular piece that had my head spinning. It was Mia's favorite band t-shirt, the one she thought she had lost a few months ago.

I took the it with me to the living room and sat on the sofa, sniffing the piece of clothing. Of course it smelled like her. Of course it brought back all the beautiful memories. I missed her like crazy and I was going insane. 

Oh, baby girl, are you thinking of me at all?

I looked around my living room and it felt so empty. I felt empty. I wanted and needed Mia to be there, looking at me with her stunning smile, ready to take me in her arms. I found myself tearing up at the thought and suddenly I felt the need to do something about it. I couldn't go on like that, I couldn't kill myself with only images of her in my mind. I needed those images to become reality again. The need to have her next to me was indescribably strong.

I had to get my girl back.