Chapter - Four.

[Darshan]

I stood up from the chair that I was sitting on. "I'll just go to the backyard, and get some fresh air", I excused myself. "Be careful, don't get lost. You dare taking a long time!", Mom forbade. "Yaar, Maa!", I rolled my eyes. I simply sided myself and went to lone place - the backyard of the Mehta's. It was pretty nice looking.

I pulled out the packet of cigarette, from the pocket of my skinny black jeans and lit up the lighter. I let out the puffs of smoke from my mouth. And simply let them mix up within the air. My phone buzzed and I fished it out and her number flashed.

I was confused between answering and not answering the call. My phone continuosly and aimlessly buzzed. I felt a slight tap on my shoulder and turned back to see who it was. It was her. Anita.

"Hey-", "You lied to me", She said. "God, no! Not again, please", I pleaded with my hands folded. "You said that you are going to attend a family function with your parents. And here you are, smoking. Is this your function; family?", She asked. "Before questioning me, you should have seen where I was and with whom was I sitting", I tried my level best to keep my calm.

"You could have just told me that you are going to be here, when I asked you", She said. "Anita, I too do have a personal life. I can't tell every single thing to you. You're just my friend, best friend", I said. "No", She said. "You're not just my friend only. To me you are not just some random friend or person. You are my friend and my only best friend", She started.

"I am someone who has been raped. I was your friend. I was your best friend until I fell in love with you. I am someone who has loved you and I still love you. Don't you understand?", She asked. "Do you understand my feelings for you? How much I love you? No, you don't", She said. "I want to settle down with you", She cried.

"No, I don't", I said. "I don't understand your feelings because, I don't love you. I have no romantic feelings for you. I like you, as a friend. I like your personality. You're cool but, I don't love you. That's all.", I said. "And if we ever get married, there will be no peace, no feelings that can be romanticised. You just don't understand. I don't love you. And I believe, that is it", I said.

She stood there, listened to what I said, cried and sobbed silently. "Why?", "Why me?", She asked. "I won't have a one-sided love story. I would rather choose to never fall in love, if I am to have a one-sided love life", I stated my opinion.

"I think, I should go, Mom must be waiting for me. She doesn't-", "Like me anymore? I know, she never did. Not that she hated me, she could never bring herself to like me", Anita said. "Just like me", I said. "Just like mom couldn't bring herself to like you, even I failed to build up romantic feelings for you. I failed to love you and I don't think that, I'd ever be able to love you", I added and she nodded.

"Can you give me a chance, Darshan?", She said, as I started to walk.

"Everybody deserves a second chance. Can I stand one?", She asked. "As a friend cum best friend, yes. Of course you do stand a chance", I said and left, leaving her all alone in the backyard of the Mehta's.