Chapter - Five.

I went and stood next to Maa, as both my parents were standing and talking to someone. "Where were you? Do you know, even Anita is here, too?", She whispered. "I know," I said. "I saw her", I added. "Where?", She asked, back. "Maa, yaar don't get started, now", I told her. "Fine. Don't roam around with her, at least not here", She forbade. I nodded.

Mom made me greet the Mehta's, whom I last saw years ago, when they left Ahmedabad for Mumbai. I greeted them with wearing the smile, that Mom told me to wear. But suddenly, the lights went out. "They have such a big bungalow and the electricity is gone, great!", I complained and Mom hushed me.

Out of people's loud naggings, I was able to hear the sweet whisper of someone's anklet jiggling. The sound of the bells jingling, always had a special effect on me, I don't know why. The sound came straight through the staircases and my eyes shot up at the staircase. A girl of my age or even a year or two younger than me, walked all the way down the staircases.

She wore a black ravishing saree, with her hair left open. I could tell she applied a bit of make-up, just a little. And the orangish red lipstick suited her. She looked at Mrs. Sumitra Mehta and did some gesture that I didn't understand. Probably rolled her eyes. "That's our youngest daughter", said Mr. Nirmal Mehta.

"Nishita", I said. "Isn't she Nishita? The one who had braces when she was eight?", I asked, Nishtha. "Whoa, you seem to remember a lot about her. Yeah, she's the one", Nish answered. "Also, I don't think you'd know this - she's the reason behind me getting married to Karthik.", Nishtha said.

With Nishita, I noticed Anita. Whose mood was completely off and she of course looked upset maybe because of what I said. Nishita walked towards us and greeted my family. For a short span of time, my parents literally gave me such vibes that I was adopted. I mean seriously, as if Nishita had done some magic to them. They were kinda obsession with her.

"Uh, Darshan", I heard Anita say, "I am sorry". I nodded my head and shoved my hands in the pocket of my skinny jeans. Then finally, Nishita made her way to me and Anita. "Hi", she said. I flashed a smile. "So, he's the one you were talking about, Ani?", She asked Anita and I looked at Anita wondering what might she have told her.

Anita's cheeks were by now a shade lighter than red. Which meant - she was blushing. "Do I get to know what you guys are talking about, or not?", I asked, out of curiosity. Nishita opened her mouth to say something and the lights got turned on. Our families talked to each other like there was no tomorrow.

God knows, what my parents have told them! Nishita's parents continuosly were giving me 'We-are-proud' looks and the same were my parents giving to Nishita.

Meanwhile, I and Nishita opened up a little. After a long time, of course. We had a quick chat, in which I got to know that Anita and Nishita are quite good friends and they happen to be each other's lifeline.

In between all the ruckus, something that made me feel better was -
1. Making Anita clear that I and her cannot be in a relationship like love.
2. Her apologizing to me for her behaviour.
3. Meeting some people whom I happen to know for a long time.
And deep down somewhere, maybe the fourth number point was either Nishtha or Nishita.

Because - Nishtha was someone who helped me discovering my passion. And Nishita used to encourage me for performing, so they both hold a special place in my life.