Chapter - Eighteen.

[Nishita]

I had to take a leave from going to Hospital because, I was getting ‘engaged’ to my best friend’s so-called boyfriend and she’s very happy about it.

Anita came very early in the morning and woke me up. She gave me the news of my engagement and only because she told me to say yes to be engaged to Darshan.

Anita got me all decked up because again, I was getting ‘engaged’ to her Darshan. Anita even told me to be prepared for the that will be asked to me by Darshan’s parents, family members and fans and asked me to stay alert.

In the evening the Ravals arrived with some people, I had never seen. I had to go and greet them. I was forced to talk to them. They asked me what I do, what were my education qualifications, blah blah blah and shit.

It took mine and their families somewhat four good hours to just exchange rings. I guess, this is what happens when two Gujarati families meet. At around seven in the evening I and Darshan were made to sit next to each other and made one another wear the ring.

My parents gave me a ring made of gold and his family gave him a platinum ring with a diamond in a circle shape. Neither of me and Darshan looked at anyone and just stared at our hands.

I and Darshan were forcibly thrown in my room because our families were definitely up to something. “What do you think they are doing?”, I asked Darshan, who was busy roaming around my room, admiring my photos kept in the album that was on my bed. It was the first time I broke the ice between the two of us.

“They are fixing you guys’ wedding date”, out of nowhere, Anita’s voice rose. “Wait, what?”, “Come again?” — was mine and His reply. “When?”, Darshan asked. “Couldn’t hear the exact date. But, it’s within one and a half month or something”, She said. “WHAT?!”, I and Darshan said in unison.

“You heard me. But, as of now I have to leave because there’s an emergency at Hospital”, she said, “Just leave a message when the date is finalized”. She adjusted her bag, mouthed a ‘bye’ to both of us, shut the door and disappeared.

I and Darshan looked at each other and said nothing. After sometime, we were told to get out of the room and we got to know about the exact date.

One month and five days. December twenty-third, it was.