Chapter VI

Chapter Six

You Deserve Better

Kenzie

She's right. I guess, not everyone gets these kinds of opportunities. These people I'm meeting downstairs could help me get into a really good college. A good future for me, and anyone in it.

My room is closed from the breeze coming through my open window. The rays of the moon are shining past my bed, and my lamp is dimly lit. As I slide off my pajamas into my dress, I catch a glimpse of a dark figure outside my window.

A flash.

Did he just take a picture of me half naked? The next thing I know my Jase ran over to the windows and closed the blinds.

"Who the hell was that?" He asked me with his angry voice. "I have no idea." Taken slightly by shock, who knows where I live. "Why were you here?" I ask him wondering how he came in so fast. "I was waiting for you to get ready by the door." He seems pissed.

"Jase I'm sorry-" I was interrupted when my breath began to cut short.

His white, large, knuckles gripped against my throat as I was pushed with such brute force against my mirror. The shattering pieces of glass plunged into my back and the back of my head. I- I- can't breathe-

3 Years Ago

"Jase let her go!" My mother's gentle voice manages to cough out a scream louder than I've ever heard. His hand drops and his footsteps crush the glass under his newly polished black shoes. The back of his hand runs across her face. My mother. Just moments before she took her life. And it was all his fault.

Now

His hand clenched against my throat with an increasing grip. He let go and struck my cheek, I fell down to the floor. My knees collapsed and were pierced with the broken glass. His footsteps paced slowly out the door. He had to make his point. "I don't care what it takes, but you will get rid of that photo." And with that, he slammed the door shut.

***

The first hit, about 5 years ago was always the worst. I hadn't expected him to be so strong, but his weight and grip was enough for me to black out. Afterwards, I would have to endure his empty words of hatred to me and mom. Those words that came from the same man that professed his love to my mother, and how much he 'cared' for me.

No matter who you are, or who they are, people will always lie to you. Always.

***

I felt the warm blood dripping down my knees and my neck. I quickly changed and made my way down to the small doctor's office near my house. A doctor that somewhat knows what's going on with me.

 A doctor that somewhat knows what's going on with me