Chapter XX

Chapter 20

Back From The Edge

Johnny's POV

Annie hung up. I don't know what happened but I knew something bad went down after they left last night. Though Cole was standing right in front of me, vulnerable as ever, I chose to leave, I knew that whatever was happening at the hospital was far more important than revenge.

I pulled the keys out of my back pocket and threw myself into the car, sitting down and thrusting the keys into the ignition. Damon always told me he hated how i'd drive if i was ever angry or scared, that he noticed my actions were unpredictable and unsafe. But right now, I was both. 

I drove 65 in a 40 with my foot increasingly pushing against the acceleration. 

The hospital. I thought to myself, how bad could it be?

I pulled the car into the first parking spot i could see. Locking the doors and running down the road pushing my hands against the glass doors. 

I went to the desk. "Kenzie Ziegler, where is she?" I asked slamming my hands on the cold counter.

"Are you family?" Her monotone voice broke through her lips as she continued to stare at the screen of her computer. 

"No, I'm a friend." I attempted to lock down my frustration instead of taking it out on someone, but she wasn't helping. 

"Only family allowed." Her eyes shifted up towards me, suddenly her obvious disassociation became attraction as she layered her eyes up and down my body with a smirk. I really wasn't in the mood for this right now. 

"Listen, she's my friend and I need to see her dammit!" My anger got the best of me, like it usually does.

"Johnny?" A familiar voice approached me from behind. As I was about to turn around and scream, a familiar hand laid on my lower back and hugged me. 

"Annie, hey what's wrong tell me what happened?" I asked hugging her cold body back. I held her hand and leaded her over to the chairs where she sat down next to me. Tears fell down her cheeks, her eyes were bloodshot, her hair was tied back in a rush, and her hands were so shaky. 

"Everyone else is on their way." I told her in hopes that it would comfort her nerves, but it only made her more jumpy. She didn't say anything, she just leaned up against my shoulder and cried. I didn't think now would be the time to push her. 

It was about 8 hours later, we were all here sitting in the waiting room. Annie fell asleep against Asher, and Emily came back with trays of coffee for us. Everytime a nurse approached us or walked past us I stood up hoping it would be someone to tell us what happened. But they didn't. 

I paced back and forth between the two rows of chairs facing each other. I don't think anyone has spoken since they first got here. You could feel the lingering aura of sadness radiating off everyone. Emotionless facial expressions made the dull mood. 

Eventually a nurse stood in front of us. "You're all here for Kenzie Ziegler?" We all stood up and responded with yes at the same time.

"Who found her?" Annie's body jolted off her seat, she wiped the sleep from her eyes and stood in front of the nurse. "I did." 

"Unfortunately we can only release information to blood relatives." Annie responded quickly with, "She doesn't have any."

The nurse practically rolled her eyes before responding. "To my understanding her legal guardian is Jase Knightly." Annie almost looked scared. "He's the reason she's in this mess." Annie almost shouted but her raspy voice contained her anger. "Those are the rules."

Everyone turned around and dropped their bodies into the chairs in frustration, til 4 officers came through the front entrance, they made their way to the desk and came up to our nurse. 

"You are allowed to inform them of her situation, there are no blood relatives present, and her legal guardian Jase Knightly is wanted as well as his accomplice, further information on the arrest will later be released to the press. You are able to discuss her medical position with these minors, but they will also, one at a time, be in questioning with us throughout this week."

"The patient Kenzie Ziegler, has surprisingly been minorly impacted by the assault. Though she has suffered to a severe extent, injuries were suspected to be far worse. She has a dislocated ankle, she has lacerated multiple muscles in her arms, she has a ruptured spleen, internal bleeding, and due to a recent injuring of a compound fracture in her ribcage healing incorrectly she will more than likely have broken ribs in more than one location and will take much longer to heal. She has been put into a coma and all of her injuries are currently stable, however due to puncture points in her lungs and the state of her ribs she is unable to breathe on her own. She could be like this for minimum a week, or up to a year give or take. Since she has been assessed to be stable you are able to visit her, down the hall room 107."

I'll admit, that hit me harder than it should have, like I had just been stabbed in the chest, I had no clue what was going on but I ran down the hall to her room. From the looks of it, it was horrible, it almost physically pained me to see her like that, like her entire life was being held together by a string and it just wasn't strong enough. 

For the next few hours we each took turns going in and talking to her, who knew if she heard us but it was something we all needed to do. Til the nurses told us to wait in the waiting room til further updates. 

"Hey look at the tv." Isaak said pointing his body in a different Direction.

"We have two criminals on the loose, and two suspects for a recent assault. Jase Knightly is wanted for physical abuse inflicted towards minor, illegal drug use and forced illegal drug use upon minor, statutory rape, molesting, fleeing from the police, and is facing a life sentence no parole when found, as well as his accomplice, Ashton Vance, for charges of illegal drug use, physical abuse inflicted towards minor, statutory rape and fleeing from the police. If found immediately call 911, suspects may be armed and are severely dangerous.

What did they do to her? What's the whole story?

Eventually the police came back with a much bigger force and brought us each separately into a private room for questioning.

"Are you aware of the severity of the suspects crimes?" 

"Yes officer," I responded.

"Do you have any information on the relationship between Aria and Jase?"

"Aria? Who the hell is that, I thought this was about Kenzie?" Both officers looked at each other before throwing a file in front of me. "

"After doing blood tests on Kenzie Ziegler, we found her to biologically be named, Aria Mae Walker, daughter of Alaina Walker and Michael Walker, both deceased, mother commited suicide 5 years ago, father died in a car accident 7 years ago, was under legal guardianship of Jase Knightly. Kenzie Ziegler has been her recent alias as her and her family have been moving away from the police under suspection. 

"I don't know anything about that." Aria?

"Is there anything you can tell us?"

"I- Unfortunately i don't know anything."

The door swung open and they let me go, Annie followed right behind me.