Chapter XIII

Chapter 13

Fire on Fire

Kenzie

Why was it that once I was happy and comfortable, everything begins to fall apart. Johnny was still behind me, I couldn't make it too obvious that something was wrong, he'd be too worried and I'd have to explain what's happening. I calmed my shaky voice, took a deep breath, turned around, and pretended like everything was fine. One day, one day to not think about the consequences, one day to relax, one day to have fun without repercussions. I grabbed my coffee and sipped it as though everything was just... Perfect.

We headed back to his room after talking in the kitchen for a while, There was a lot I didn't know about Johnny, like he's the quarterback on the varsity football team, he hates how cliche it is but he's got a really good arm. I also know how much he cares for his brother and that he's practically raised him most of his life. I know he started boxing so he could protect himself and Damon. I felt terrible, that he had told me so much about himself and I just kept hiding and lying about who I was.

"Remember the day we met?" He said while sitting up on the bed next to me setting his coffee down on the nightstand. "Of course, you were an asshole." I admit jokingly. "My dad showed up at my house early that morning, Damon answered it and slammed the door. He was drunk off his ass, and he was just asking for money. We ignored it and while I was at school I got a call saying my brother got into some trouble at school for getting into a fight, someone made a remark about him not having any parents and he lost it. I took it out on you, and I'm sorry." Wow, I had no idea what was going on, it made sense, ever since i've gotten to know him, he's a nice guy, but the first day I met him, not so nice of course.

"Johnny, you don't need to be sorry, we all go through things and handle them differently, I don't blame you and it's certainly not your fault. I'm sorry about your father, you deserved better than that, both of you do." He closed his eyes and let out a sigh of relief. Like he's glad I understand him, glad I don't blame him. "I don't get it, I hate opening up to people, I hate for people to know the things I resent about myself, but for some reason, you're just so easy to talk to." I got that, opening up was the worst, I never did because I was always terrified what people would think of me, if they would blame me, laugh, ignore it. But Johnny was different, he reacted to anything I told him in the exact way I wanted, he listened to me, he offered himself if I needed to talk to him, but would others react the same?

We spent a little longer talking but eventually I slipped on his pajama pants and we decided to go out for a while.

We grabbed some sandwiches at a deli nearby, we walked around town and talked for a long time before stopping at a park and sitting down on a bench

We grabbed some sandwiches at a deli nearby, we walked around town and talked for a long time before stopping at a park and sitting down on a bench. Johnny thought it'd be a good idea to go out tonight, we texted our group chat (Isaak, Emily, Annie, Maisy, Asher, Lucas, Chase, Johnny & I) Everyone was in to go out to the clubs, meet at Johnny's after school. He brought me to a shop nearby, he knew I didn't want to go home so he bought me a new dress for tonight. We went to his place and chilled for a while til the gang showed up. Eventually the all got here around the same time and we chilled in Johnny's living room and Damon came down to hang.

"So I hear you're all going out tonight." Damon says while slipping himself on the couch next to me. "Don't even think about it, Damon." Johnny says raising his eyebrow. "Think about what? Joining you guys tonight or stealing your girl?" Damon's eyes travel up to mine before I realize that he's referring to me. "We're not-" Johnny and I both say at the same time while looking both at each other, somewhat embarrassed but also found it really funny at the same time.

"Pfft, you guys totally are." Damon says. "What do you know about girl's, Damon." Asher asks throwing him a look and Damon sits up. "Well, Asher, more that you do." We all laugh and Annie play punches Asher. "I'm sure you do." Asher states sarcastically. "Well i've learned a lot with my experience." Damon adds and Johnny throws a pillow at him telling him to shut up. "Like who?" Chase asks.

"Well," Damon sits up and grabs his phone out of his pocket, "There's Jessica, Amelia, Layla, Bridget, Courtney, Abigail, Abby, Aaliyah, Sarah, Jean, Lily, Lucy, Sophie, Amanda, London, Ella, Rose, May, Natalie, Anna, Lola, Tia, Maddie, Jessie, Jenna, Louisa, Katie and Kristina." My mouth completely dropped, Damon is going to be exactly like Johnny when he's older, I look around at everyone else and we all just laugh, except Johnny rolls his eyes in attempt to ignore the statement.

"Oh my god Johnny, he's gonna be just like you." Mais jokes seriously before bursting into uncontrollable laughter

The rest of the afternoon went great, it was about 9 and we decided to get ready and go out to a club that Isaak's dad owns so he can get in. The girls went upstairs to the guest room and the guys went to Johnny's.

"Kenz, wait." Johnny adds right before I leave with the girls. "Yeah." I state turning around, he's holding a box wrapped up with a bow and hands it to me. "For tonight." He says in reference to the box. "You didn't have to you know that?" I want him to know I appreciate it, but it was probably expensive considering the store he got it from. "I know, but you wanted to go out, I don't exactly have anything you could wear and I figured it'd be best if you didn't go home." He smiles and walks away before I get the chance to reject his kindness.

By the time I got upstairs they were all almost completely dressed, I guess everyone was just as excited as I was. They were all gossiping and doing their hair and makeup so I went into the bathroom to slip on my dress.

How did he do it? Manage to get a gorgeous dress like this, and have it fit me perfectly

How did he do it? Manage to get a gorgeous dress like this, and have it fit me perfectly. Like a glove. I genuinely don't think I could exaggerate even if I wanted to. It was comfortable. Elegant yet sexy. And it wrapped around my body like it was meant for it. I came out of the bathroom and all the girls smiled at me.

"Where did you get that?!" Annie asked while walking around me and checking the dress out. "It's literally perfect." She followed. "Not just the dress, you!" Mais stated leaning back on her chair. "It fits you like a fucking glove." Annie added.

"Thank you, I was with Johnny today and he got it for me." I started smiling and they all made direct eye contact with me. "I'm not surprised Johnny has always been a man of surprises." Mais stated still looking at the dress. "Yeah but how did he know what size to get?" Annie asked, looking at Emily as she had been quiet the whole time.

"Well, Kenz, you left a dress at my house and I was going to return it to you today but you never turned up at school, neither did Johnny so I called him and asked if he saw you, he said y'all were hanging and he asked about the dress size." Emily said standing up completely ready to go.

He didn't have to do that.

No one has ever done anything like that for me, I can't help but swoon a little. We decided to all head downstairs where the guys were wrestling at the front door waiting for us.