Chapter XVII

Chapter 17

Thinking out loud

Kenzie

I went home than night, late that night. I opened the front door overwhelmed by the wafting scent of booze and cigarettes. Only to see Ashton and Jase passed out on the couch surrounded by bottles and ash trays. I managed to quietly sneak in upstairs to me room, and slowly, fall asleep.

I woke up early the next day, I peaked out of my room and down the stairs. Still sleeping on the floor. Good. I got dressed and decided to head out early, anything to avoid them.

I didn't have time to shower so I just got dressed and packed my bag for boxing after school.

Something comfy so I could just change my shoes when I got to the gym.

I went to the cafe only to be surprised by the gang there.

"Kenzie, where have you been, Lucas texted you 30 minutes ago?" Emily asked. "Wait, I was supposed to text her." Lucas stated causing everyone to look at him and roll their eyes. "Sorry." He mouthed to me and I gently laughed. "Then how come you're here?" Asher said.

"Just thought I'd leave a little early today." I delicately replied with my raspy voice, eyes still blood stained from everything that happened yesterday and last night. They all seemed to have some side conversations going on, Annie kept getting distracted and kept looking at me, Johnny on the other hand couldn't even look at me. I hated that. I wanted to sit in the corner of the booth and just cry, but they wouldn't understand. My eyes kept scanning the room, paranoid, as always, but more so now. Cole stood across the room and gestured his head for me to come over.

"I'll be right back..." I mumbled and only then did Johnny even notice me, I walked over slowly knowing very well the eyes I must have received from my friends.

"What?" I asked, too tired to beat around the bush, I wanted to know what he wanted this time. "Just to give Johnny a little gift for being a dick." He smirked and sat his hand on my shoulder, the next thing I know his fist goes into my stomach, it hurts more than just any punch, but i'm too stiff to let it show. He leaned into my ear to whisper something, this time he was different, good, at acting. Make this entire thing seem all too friendly.

"Brass knuckles." He whispered. That's why it hurt so fucking bad. "But because i don't like either of you, next time it'll be me and him, but not like this, next time, it'll be me telling him everything about you, and hurting him a lot more. Maybe even the rest of your friends too..." What is his deal with my life? He pulled his hand off my shoulder and walked away. Though I wanted to cry, I needed a break from this. Shit what's the point in me knowing how to fucking fight when I don't use it. I dropped off my bag at the table with everyone and went outside and followed Cole to the alley next to the cafe. He was pulling out a cigarette when I grabbed the knuckles out of his pocket. I shoved him against the wall his breath taken back by the shock. I held my hand against his throat and took one blow to his face with the knuckles. I threw them across the alley and kneed him right in the balls. He fell down.