The Prosecutors

Summary: In the eyes of a Defense Attorney, the Prosecutors are always mean, stuck-up and only care about proving the defendant GUILTY. However, there's always more going on behind the curtains. The prosecutors will always have each other's backs in times of crisis, willing to make the sacrifice of taking their colleague's case for their sake.

"It's clear now that the defendant never stole the 50,000 dollar sacred Heart of the Heartland," the Judge said.

"Exactly, my client has said so herself; while she claims to be a noble thief, it is only to steal the truth, not jewels or items of the sort," Phoenix claimed, showing newspaper clippings of the Yatagarasu's news stories revealing a smuggling at the two embassies in The Kingdom of Allebahst's and The Republic of Babahl's Goodwill Jubilee and another one of the president of Zheng Fa's body double switch scandal. Both clippings show a picture of the Yatagarasu's calling card as white with the three-foot black bird in the middle. "She was simply trying to catch the real criminals, who were members of the black market."

"True. To think I almost declared an innocent young lady guilty for theft. Mr. Payne, do you have anything to say?"

"No, your honor," Winston said, who was standing on the prosecution's bench. 

That day, Kay Faraday was declared NOT GUILTY. Luckily, it wasn't for murder, but Phoenix took it upon himself to defend her. It was a great surprise when the high prosecutor, Miles Edgeworth, came to Phoenix's office to request a Defense Attorney for his assistant and noble thief, Kay Faraday. This wasn't the first client Phoenix took that was accused of thievery, let alone a proclaimed thief, but at least Kay wasn't Ron DeLite.

Miles Edgeworth had watched the entire trial from the gallery and sighed in relief. Of course, he knew Kay was innocent, but there was always the possibility that she could be declared GUILTY even though she was innocent. He waited in the Prosecutor's Lobby on the 3rd Floor where the Prosecutors often go to prepare their witnesses. Because of this, this Lobby was much larger than the Defendant Lobbies and commonly had other Prosecutors and Witnesses. There also were only three of them in this courthouse. Since the trial was over, there were only a few people here.

Winston Payne entered inside, then upon seeing the high prosecutor smiled happily. Miles also showed a smile of his own before shaking the man's hand.

"Thank you for taking this case in my stead," Edgeworth said. He was not one to normally refuse a case, but if he did for any reason, other prosecutors voluntarily took the case in his stead. Winston Payne often took a majority of Miles Edgeworth's cases he refused due to Conflict of Interest such as if the defendant was a childhood friend, colleague or family member. The only time he ever prosecuted against someone he knew or was close to was during the Mia Fey case, though he was blackmailed at the time and he never met Maya Fey before that case.

"It's my pleasure doing business, Mr. Edgeworth. As I said, if you ever need my help, don't hesitate to ask."

"Of course! I bid you adieu," Edgworth waved, taking a bow, before the veteran prosecutor returned it with a nod, then left.

Edgeworth would be expecting his assistant to return back tomorrow morning. For now, it was time for him to return back to work. He was certain Detective Gumshoe would be happy to hear Kay received a NOT GUILTY verdict. He would normally have asked Raymond Shields to take the case, but he was currently busy with several other clients. Phoenix was best Edgeworth could get. It was just another addition to the list of things Edgeworth owed him for.