What Happened While I was Away?

Summary: Miles Edgeworth decides to pay Raymond Shields a visit to distribute a Thank You gift. Raymond decides to use this opportunity to catch up on old times. What he finds out during these five years he's been away abroad becomes something much more grave, the truth about DL-6 and why Edgeworth had come under Von Karma's wing.

Edgeworth approached the door to his father's old law offices. It had been a few days since the investigation of the murder of Horus Knightly inside the prison. Had it not been for Raymond Shields, the truth would have been lost and an innocent man would've been convicted of murder. Despite how much Raymond hated him, the least he could do was thank the man for what he did. Hopefully, he will enjoy the gift.

Opening the door, Edgeworth looked over to see Raymond sitting in his father's old desk with paperwork. The scent of the office brought back so many memories. It took everything Edgeworth had to not cry at this moment. Now wasn't a good time to reminiscence on old memories.

"Prosecutor Edgeworth... is that for Uncle Ray?" Raymond asked, clapping and acting like a school kid on Christmas.

"Y-Yes, I wanted to thank you for helping me out during that investigation. It... was much appreciated," Edgeworth said, handing his wrapped gift to Raymond, who took it happily.

"Well, Uncle Ray can't say no to a gift. What brings you here, Miles? I never see you come here... then again, I was studying for five years abroad."

"As I said, I thought I'd thank you for your help."

"Maybe catch up? It has been five years and it sounds like a lot has happened."

"... you could say that," Edgeworth said, crossing his arms. Has it really been that long? So much had happened during those five years from meeting with old friends, to studying in Germany, to reuniting with Kay, to... well now. Admittedly, he couldn't find himself to admit it out loud. Raymond gave him a frown.

"... say, how about we sit down?" Raymond asked, then bringing out his happy grin.

"What?" Edgeworth responded, taken aback.

"Well, you did just admit that a lot has happened during the past five years. Uncle Ray wants to know!"

"... I suppose it was going to come out at some point," Edgeworth replied, tapping his finger on his elbow.

"Yay! Goody-goody! Well, sit down and let Uncle Ray serve you!"

Edgeworth nodded, then sat down on the couch as Raymond began pouring tea from the old kettle Gregory once used during work. Of course, the tea was a different flavor from what Edgeworth remembered his father using, but he supposed it was more of preference or tastes than anything. Either way, it did smell rather nice. Edgeworth always loved the smell of freshly brewed tea.

Handing Edgeworth his tea, Raymond sat down next to him, then asked, "so, what did Uncle Ray miss? Aside from the fluffy neck scarf, you don't seem to be as defensive or... worshiping Von Karma like before."