Do You Love me?

Summary: Miles Edgeworth visits his former mentor in the Detention Center for answers about the setup murder at Gourd Lake and DL-6. The very question that he wants to know, more than anything, is if Manfred Von Karma did love and care about him, even if the answer is more painful than believing he never did.

"Mr. Edgeworth, he's ready. You may go inside the Detention Center for visiting hours," the guard announced to Edgeworth, who was waiting, sitting in one of the benches inside the lobby.

"Thank you," Edgeworth replied.

Edgeworth got up from the bench, then made his way inside the Detention Center. It had been about two and a half months since the last he saw this man face to face. He never wanted to see this man's face ever again after what happened and he still didn't want to see him. Though, even Edgeworth had to admit that if it weren't for this man, he would have already died by his own hands long ago. He couldn't ignore the doubts lingering in his mind.

Opening his eyes, Edgeworth saw the man that had changed his life, then tried to ruin it, Manfred Von Karma. He was sitting on the other side of the glass with his usual prideful crossed arms and glare. Edgeworth took his seat as he was met with that glare staring right at him.

"I wasn't expecting to see you of all people. Have you come here to laugh at my defeat?" Manfred asked with venom in his voice.

"Drop the act, Mr. Von Karma. I came here to ask a few questions and no more," Edgeworth said, folding his own arms.

"Well, don't beat around the bush, Miles. Ask your foolish questions!"

"... why did you set me up?" Edgeworth finally asked. It was a simple question, but it had plagued him, since December.

"Why? What kind of foolish question is that? I killed your father and I needed someone to be convinced under those charges in my stead!" Manfred replied without skipping a beat. He snapped his finger. "No more."

"I might be naive enough to follow a corrupt man that forges evidence for a living, but if that were the case, why not set me up during the time I was the most vulnerable? Why wait until the stature of limitation was only a few days away from being completed? Also, DL-6 would not have been brought back had I not confessed. I'm certain you intended on getting rid of Robert Hammond to keep me from the truth, but I refuse to believe you had planned to take me in as your disciple, and plan the setup in three whole years prier."

"You are naive and foolish. Of course I had planned it, even down to taking you in as my disciple. I knew taking your father's life wasn't enough and thus I had taken what he treasured most and turned him into the very thing he hated before convicting him of murder."

"At the last day after gaining your first Not Guilty verdict by the hands of a rookie attorney when the statute of limitation would be over the next day? I don't believe it. Me confessing my nightmare wasn't even in your plan, only something you acted upon. You killed my father over a mere penalty and you expect me to believe you would sacrifice your 40 year win streak of Guilty verdicts just to get me to confess to the court that I killed my father? If that was your plan, why not do it ages ago? You knew of my nightmare then. I lived under your stewardship since I was 17!"