Request of Defense

When it came to anyone asking for Phoenix Wright to represent them, sometimes it wasn't always the client themselves. Sometimes it was a loved one, who believed strongly in their loved one's innocence. Ema was one such example, but there were many others as well. This was expected. Though, what never happened, was when someone, that Phoenix had indict and used evidence to prove their guilt, wrote to him a request to defend their loved one accused of murder. That was unexpected. What's even more unexpected was WHO it was that was asking Phoenix for his Defense. This was not the kind of man that would trust any Defense Attorney, let alone Phoenix Wright. At least, that's what he had assumed.

'Could this be a trick?' Phoenix asked himself as he looked over the letter again and again.

Maya came into the office, carrying a to-go back of her meal she ordered from a burger place, most likely Burger King. She ate a French fry, looking over at Phoenix, who was too focused on the letter he just received to notice her presence. A smirk creeped up Maya's lips as she tip-toed behind Phoenix. She stuck her finger in her mouth, getting it all juicy with saliva, then stuck it in Phoenix's ear.

"EEEEEH!" Phoenix almost squealed in a high-pitch voice with his eyes bulging out and his hair more spiked and everywhere from shock. Maya burst out laughing. Groaning, he wiped the wetness from his ear. "Maya, what the hell?"

"You were so still and focused that I wasn't sure if you were dead or alive, so I had to check, just to make sure," Maya grinned, clasping her hands together.

"So, you gave me a wet willy?" Phoenix asking, his voice filled with disbelief.

"Oh co'mon, you gotta admit it was funny."

Phoenix sighed, rolling his eyes as Maya continued laughing before asking, "so, what cha reading that's got you so occupied that you couldn't even say 'hello' to me?"

"Just a letter of request, the usual," Phoenix replied dumbly. In the back of his mind, he knew this letter was anything, but usual. Perhaps he should think about calling Edgeworth, just to be sure this isn't just a trap.

"From who?" Maya asked, looking over the letter, then her eyes bulged in one quick second. "MANFRED VON KARMA!?!"

"Ow! Is it your call in life to damage my ears?" Phoenix complained, covering his ear that was right next to Maya.

"Sorry, but what is that jerk trying to pull?"

"That's what I'd like to know! He says his wife was just arrested for murdering a reporter when she came to visit the states. Unfortunately, since Edgeworth is studying abroad and Franziska is in Germany, neither one of them could come to drop the charges. I can't say if he can do a 180 this quickly or if this is some kind of trap. I mean, why go to the person that placed him behind bars for help? I can't make sense of this."

"Hm..." Maya hummed, then began reading the letter herself. "Wow, you're not kidding. If I didn't know him as the Prosecutor against Mr. Edgeworth, I'd say he was a desperate man trying to save his wife. Talk about giving up your entire pride, not that he didn't have it stripped from him as it is."

"I'm thinking of calling Edgeworth, but the time zones are a mess. He's likely asleep right now."

"Good point. Maybe we should visit Mrs. Von Karma; at least meet her in person to see what kind of person you maybe defending in court. If she's lying, you have the magatama."

"But, what if she bypasses it like Matt Enguarde?"

"That was different, Nick."

"Different? How?"

"Hehe you didn't have me," Maya smirked.

"... that's refreshing," Phoenix replied with drip of sarcasm in his voice.