Fears and Insecurities

Summary: Kay wants to hurry to make it to the Jammin' Ninja Convention that is 30 floors up. Both her and Edgeworth take the elevator. From this one quit elevator ride, Edgeworth begins contemplating about his fears and insecurities, while also remembering that his voluntary assistant shares her own set of fears and insecurities. Perhaps, Edgeworth will no longer have to feel isolated or alone.

"Mr. Edgeworth, hurry, The Jammin Ninja Convention is about to start!" Kay cried, pulling on the sleeve of Edgeworth's arm.

"Let me remind you whose idea it was to waste 30 minutes shopping for useless merchandise," Edgeworth said grimly.

"Hey! You were shopping for Steel Samauri merch yourself and I just had to get the Jammin Ninja plush!" Kay grinned excitedly, still pulling on Edgeworth's arm eagerly.

"And the action figures, the key chains, the makeup – which I don't understand why they make those and a poster that is bigger than Gumshoe."

Kay stuck her tongue out, then said, "for your information, it's called lip gloss and it's peach flavored. Besides, didn't you also get some action figures and plushies yourself?"

"They're squishes and they're good for relieving stress. You should try one."

"I might think about it," Kay stated as the duo finally entered inside the elevator of the arena. "Man, I can't believe they had to have the convention on the rooftop. At least it has a nice view."

"Yes. That, it does," Edgeworth agreed as a few more people entered inside.

One of the advantages with having a voluntary assistant was that you never had to pay them to show up and they always seemed incredibly loyal. Kay and Edgeworth had their scuffles, but that was typical of any teenager and their elders. Even Edgeworth had his scuffles with his former mentor every once and awhile. Of course, neither of them ever made it public and kept it between them. It was normal for them to openly disagree sometimes. At the time, Edgeworth believed his mentor cared about him greatly, now probably somewhat to a degree. He couldn't be certain anymore.

Edgeworth knew he cared a lot about Kay, if their times together proved anything. Of course, she wasn't his student by any stretch of the imagination and he didn't believe she was planning to pursue her career on Prosecution. She did mention about wanting to be a lawyer, perhaps a Defense Attorney to complete the team she had decided would be her official Yatagaratsu Team. Trivial as it sounded, Edgeworth could see Kay making a good Defense Attorney. He was certain Mr. Shields would be overjoyed to have her work for Edgeworth Law Offices.

As the elevator doors began closing, it was only then that Edgeworth began noticing how overcrowded it was. Not to say he was claustrophobic, but he was inside an elevator and having experienced the worst case scenario of being trapped in an elevator caused a lot of distress on the prosecutor. Even though he could step inside an elevator and come out alright, it wasn't to say he never felt nervous, especially if the elevator was noisy, moved strangely or, in this case, overcrowded. He still made it his personal choice to never stay at that Pyramid Hotel in Las Vegas ever again. He wouldn't even step into the one to go inside the top top of the St. Louis Arch. Any elevator that acted strangely from the typical elevator was a no-go for Miles Edgeworth.