One Step at a Time

Summary: After Miles Edgeworth returns back from his studies abroad, Phoenix makes it her mission to spend some time with her old friend she's had a crush on for as long as she can remember. Maya believes that Phoenix should go for it and confess her feelings, but sometimes romance and relationships aren't as simple, easy and happy endings as shown in romance movies or novels, even if the other shares those same feelings. After all, it also means respecting your significant other's personal space, feelings and wishes above your own.

Wrightworth; Fem Phoenix Wright

It feels like it has been forever since the last I saw Miles. He was defending Iris in my stead, while I was recovering from a flu. It's still unbelievable how I manage to survive things like poison, being whipped a dozen times in court, being hit over the head with a fire extinguisher, have piping hot coffee thrown at me and recently having fallen 40 feet into an icy cold, ragging river that could've killed me. Pearls has mentioned that the magatama does include some form of protection, but I still don't quite understand it and I still don't understand how I could've survived swallowing a small glass bottle of poison. Then again, there really wasn't that much inside and it probably dried up by the time I did swallow it.

Sometimes I feel I've become naive and stupid whenever I become close with someone. I wasn't in love with Dahlia, but we were very close friends. I loved her dearly, only to find out she was trying to kill me, then find out five years later that the girl I was close with was Iris. It only proved how naive and stupid I am when I'm very emotionally close with someone. Miles is another example. I've known him for practically all of my life and had the biggest crush on him as a young girl. I still have some feelings for him and dream of us sharing promise rings, holding hands and perhaps have my first kiss.

Even so, Miles is still my friend and I know I shouldn't be pushing my own dreams on him. He's not like Larry. He's not looking for love. I'm not either, but I can't assume that Miles shares the same wishes and dreams I have. We do work at two different positions in law. It's not to say I won't spend time with him or call him when I have the chance. I always take the time to text or call him during my private times. It's always exciting when he texts me back or calls me on the phone.

Speaking of which, Miles' plane should be landing soon. He did text me the time it would take for him to arrive before his plane took off. Maya says I should tell Miles how I feel and him texting or calling me almost all the time is a sign that he really likes me. Not that I don't believe her, but I don't want to pressure Miles. Even if he does really like me or see me the way I see him, it doesn't mean he wants to take me out or share a kiss with me. I'm sure Maya will understand once she gets older. At least she didn't pull a Pearls. When I first met Pearls, she was very shocked, because she thought Nic was a mister and Maya's special someone. Silly girl. I suppose my name and title name sound gender neutral names, though I spell my name without a k compared to the male form of the name, though I think Phoenix is more of a feminine name, while Nic is short for Nicole. At least I'm not a reverse trap.

I'm not in my usual blue suit and skirt, in case you were wondering. I'm wearing a light gray hoody over a loose white under shirt with jean caprices and gray crocs. Because of how unmanageable my hair tends to be, I tend to pull it back into a ponytail. I do the same thing in court. If not, my hair tends to be all over the place.

I watched the plane land. I took out my phone and text right away, 'I saw the plane land. Are you there? I'mat the Gate.'