Long Days - The one that got away part 4

a/n: still got nothing else to do so here we go with another round of snippets from Breddy X Lynns life. Photo unrelated to the story but I just looooved that scene!

/

Christopher babbled a lot. Not actual words, but a constant string of nonsense. Brett liked to hum along, trying to encourage Chris to actually speak some words. Or try. He threw a couple of cookies in front of him on the table which Chris happily grabbed. Rufus was sitting next to him and made a whiny noise, always hoping for things to fall down and if on accident or purpose, the toddler dropped a cookie or two which Rufus gulped down.

Happy to see Chris eating, Brett turned around and continued to make dinner for the rest of their little patchwork family. The last two weeks of Christopher being with them were not easy. The social worker was there yesterday and hesitantly asked if they would mind taking him for a bit longer while they were looking for a long term foster family. The toddler was a handful. It was obvious that he had not been properly cared for. His motoric and oral skills were underdeveloped, he was not completely dry, was more than just a picky eater and he was very suspicious of anyone that tried to touch him. He was also crying a lot, especially at night. In total, he was a whole lot more demanding than Lynn ever was and Brett could feel consequences of it. They weren't in their twenties anymore where one or two sleepless nights wasn't that much of a big deal and he felt his bones aching.

"Oh, you look tired."

Brett turned around when he heard Eddy enter the kitchen. He didn't even hear the car arriving in the driveway. Eddy had started to be part of chamber music ensemble in Sydney on a casual basis a couple of years ago and was occasionally out for half a day or an evening.

"You okay?", Eddy asked, coming closer and pulled Brett into a hug. Eddys hugs were the best thing ever, calming and soft. Brett just tugged his head into the nook between Eddys neck and shoulder and rested there for a second.

"I am sorry", Eddy mumbled eventually and Brett looked up, confused.

"What for?"

"I know Chris is a handful."

"Nonsense. He needs care, that is not his fault", Brett stopped him.

"But you're getting grey hair because of him", Eddy stated playfully, twisting some of Bretts hair between his finger. Some actual grey hair that he started to grow a couple of years ago, starting from his sideburns. The other shoved him away with a hand, not too hard though. Eddy chuckled at that.

"Wait until you grow your first grey hair, I will not let you live that down", Brett mocked and turned back to the stove.

"Never, old man. You're just not as young anymore, accept it", Eddy mocked while getting out some plates. Brett pretended to kick him when he walked by but there was no real fire behind it and both looked at each other with more amusement than anything else.

"Before we call Lynn down for dinner", Brett started when he put down the pots on the table while Eddy put cutlery next to each plate, "I wanted to talk to you about keeping Chris."

"I thought we already said we would. Nancy was here yesterday, did we not tell her we would keep him a bit longer?"

"No, you idiot", Brett laughed and grabbed Eddys waist when he walked by, "I mean keep him. With us. Forever."

Eddy looked at him dumbfounded.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah", Brett smiled softly. He had no chance anyway. Eddys heart was with the boy from the first moment and they had the time and money to care for him. So, why shouldn't they?