II. Vampire Academy

Shocking how few of you know the original. Go and read it. Rose Hathaway is a revelation.

//

They're connection had always been strong, long before the accident.

They had been inseparable as children, always clinging to each other's side and being in each other's space. Teachers thought it was cute when they were kids but turned concerned when they grew older and still kept on being each other's confidant.

Dhampir and Moroi friendships were not uncommon, both species being on friendly terms, but there was a fine line of what was socially acceptable and what wasn't, especially for royal families.

Brett had always known that his place was at Eddy's side, a step behind him, to cover his back. After the bond appeared, it only became stronger. Their dynamic had always been him, as the protector and Eddy, as the protectee.

So it felt weird for Brett when Eddy announced on the next day that he would take care of the rumours.

"Are you going to take people outside and beat them up?"

Even with his wild fantasy, Brett could not see that happen.

Eddy rolled his eyes.

"Of course not", he mumbled, eyeing the other students in the cafeteria. They sat in a corner, at a table for themselves. Brett had gotten weird stares all mornings and by the look of his teachers, the rumours had reached them as well.

"But maybe it's time for me to kick a little ass and you to cry in a corner for a change."

All Brett could do was stare at Eddy in astonishment. And then burst into laughter.

"Come on, that sounded total badass", Eddy whined.

"I'm sorry", Brett tried to say between laughter, "but honestly, you're a puppy. Please don't say words like 'ass' anytime soon again."

Eddy was visibly pouting, so Brett squeezed his hand that was laying on the table quickly before they both went back to their food.

How serious Eddy actually was didn't register with Brett until he was in his room later in the evening and tuned into Eddy's mind again. By accident.

Eddy was sitting in the common room of the Moroi, together with some other royals. Chatting.

"It really was no big deal while we were on the run."

Brett immediately knew what he was up to.

Compulsion.

He compulsed the whole fucking group at once.

And the crazy thing was that it appeared to be working. Everyone stared back at Eddy with glazed over eyes, nodding their heads. Looking like Eddy's words totally made sense, even though they didn't. Eddy sat there with a straight back, his posture representing the status he had, his royalness pouring off of him in waves along with his magic.

Brett didn't like this game one bit.

"Of course", Jarrod said, looking understandably at Eddy, some questions still visible in his eyes, "so, is Brett your partner then?"

Eddy and Brett both held their breath at the same time. Until Eddy breathed out and regained the calm demeanour that never really cracked on the outside anyway.

Brett still couldn't breathe.

"Brett will always be my guardian. And friend."

Good boy, Brett thought, well done.