Old Days - The one that got away

a/n:

Ready to say hello to some really old friends?!

This is for the one and only eykim28

There is a saying where I'm from: "Things that take a long time will finally be good."

At least, I hope that's the case.

Sorry for the wait, hun, I hope you can enjoy it! It's a bit of a mess. Sry for not reading your fics anymore, they give me too much heartache!

/

"It's ringing."

"Thanks, I can hear that, smartass."

Brett stood in front of the device, trying to press a button on the screen, but it was so touch sensitive that he always got the wrong one. Which was amazing, considering he didn't even know what the correct one would be.

"You have to pick the call up, otherwise it will be lost."

Eddy came into the living room and slightly pushed Brett out of the way to try himself. And failed.

"Was there not a voice command thing as well? Accept call."

The last words were spoken loud and clearly to the little device with the flurry hologram in front of them. Nothing happened.

"I give up."

Brett tried to get up from the floor, where they had been crouching in front of the coffee table, trying to accept the call from the 'iFuture'.

Future my ass, Brett thought, stretching his now sore knee.

He felt his smartphone vibrate in his pocket and pulled it out.

'Press the green button', the message read.

"We're meant to press the green button", he told Eddy, who rolled his eyes.

"The thing is black and white, there are no colours."

For one second, Brett considered to reply. And then thought the whole ordeal was entirely stupid, so he just called.

"It really isn't that difficult", the caller on the other end said immediately.

"Why can we not just use phones like any normal sane person," while answering, Brett stretched a hand out to Eddy, to help him off the floor.

"You have to get used to the new technology, it's the future. It will be installed in any household sooner or later. A time will come when you cannot not have it."

"Not in this house", Brett grumbled, "we'll be dead by that time."

"Don't say that grandpa!"

Brett only rolled his eyes again.

"What was the reason for you trying to call us on that devil of a machine?"

"I just wanted to let you know that Laura is allergic to brussel sprout. Maybe make sure to have something else as an alternative."

"How many allergies does this girl have?"

"Grandpa!"

"Sorry."

Brett didn't feel very sorry though.

"We will have...something else along with the turkey then."

"And we're coming at some point in the afternoon tomorrow."

"Didn't your mother teach you to be more specific? Where are your manners?"