Numbers

"Hey, love," Newt said, jogging over to me. He leaned down and kissed the top of my head. "That shank, Gally, was right- you are pretty short."

     "Maybe you're all really tall. Ever think about that?" I joked, looking up at him. He laughed then kissed me again, before someone cleared their throat.

     "Mia, get back to work," Gally said. I walked back over to him. "I need some help with measurements. Is that okay?" I nodded, following him into a back room. "Sometimes I wish the creators would send up a calculator or two."

     "I could probably do that," I suggested.

     "Okay. If the tallest Glader is about 6 foot, we want it slightly taller, yes? So 7 feet tall, probably 20 feet in width, and 15 feet long. Square footage?" Gally asked.

     "I think I remember being good at math, but I don't remember liking it. Anyway, that would be...2,100 square feet?" I questioned.

     "Uh, yea. So we definitely have enough material. And where have you been hiding that brain?" I laughed and shrugged. "Okay whats, um, 964 divided by 2 multiplied by 7?"

     "I said I don't like math," I replied, picking up a hammer and walking out with him in my wake. "But it's 3,374. Now, no more numbers, it's boring."

     "Alright, fine. Hey, um, why did you and Minho break up?" Gally inquired.

     "I realized I was way out of his league," I replied.

     "Seriously?" He seemed to believe the lie.

     "Nope. Neither of us were really in love anymore, so it was mutual," I said honestly.

     "That sounds more believable," Gally laughed. We had a fun day, which we normally did. Being a Builder was great. When night had fallen, Newt was waiting for me. He greeted me with a kiss on the cheek.

     "How you doing there, blondie?" I asked, smirking.

     "Alright. How about you, short stack?" I laughed along with him, and we walked over to go get dinner. We spent the whole night laughing and just enjoying each other's company. Newt was always so sweet and really, well...perfect.

     "Come on, Mia, it's getting late. Let's go to bed," Newt said, grabbing my hand. We walked over to the Homestead, when I realized I had a question for him.     

     "Newt?" I started.

     "Yes, love?" He said.

     I looked up at him and asked, "Why do you have a limp? I've been wondering that for a while."

     "I-I don't want to talk about it. I'll tell you when I'm ready, but let's forget about it now, okay?" I nodded, accepting his decision. "Good. Now, uh, I'm gonna go to bed."

     "Okay. Night, babe," I said, standing up tall to gently kiss him.

     "I-I love you, Mia. You make living in the Glade something that is so amazing. Thank you. I love you so much," Newt whispered.

     "Oh, Newt," I said, grinning. "I love you, too."

     He smiled at me, then pulled me in close and kissed me. Right then in time, it was only me and Newt. The whole Glade faded away (but not like when Gally dropped a hammer on my face) and it felt like the two of us were alone in the world. At that moment, I forget about everything and everyone else.

     "Um, Mia?" A voice called from the doorway.

     I pulled away, and turned to see Chuck, panting in the hall. "What is it? I'm a little, uh... occupied right now. What's up?"

     "It's just, um, well, uh, Jeff wanted me to tell, or maybe just get, you because, um..." he stammered.

     "What is it, Chuck?" I repeated. "Come on, I wanna hang out with Newt, so hurry up. What did Jeff want you to tell me?"

     "Well, it's just that, you see, uh, it's the, uh, um, the-" he stopped as Newt spoke.

     "Chuck, what is it? Is someone hurt? What's going on? Just tell us!" He practically yelled.

     "I-it's, it's the-the girl. Sh-she's awake and they, uh, wanted me to get you, Mia, because you're also a girl. So you should, uh, go talk to her," he said so fast I barely heard him.

     "What? I barely caught any of that," I said.

     He sighed, grudgingly, before replying. "It's the girl. She's awake."