The Scorch

Hot.

     Dry.

     Hot and dry.

     And dangerous.

     Okay, hot, dry, and dangerous.

     That's how I would describe the Scorch. So hot that Minho wouldn't allow us to walk during the day, only at night. We rested in the day, under the bedsheets we brought with us. For the most part, people had to share. Luckily, I had Newt. Without him, I don't think I would've made it through those long days.

     Minho and Thomas sometimes walked beside us. We would talk, the four of us. I could tell that Thomas really missed Teresa, but he was suppressing his feelings now.

     One night, while walking, we came to a building. It was on the way to the Crank city we were going to. Thomas said that he wanted to check out the building, so we let him, while we took a break. Once he came back, he said that Teresa was there and that she talked to him. I thought that more probably happened, but Thomas wouldn't spill.

     More walking.

     On the final day of our journey to the city, a storm was coming. We could easily make out the signs. The wind was picking up, blowing sand and rocks in our eyes; the sky was growing rather dark; and the air had a stormy edge to it. We were going as quickly as we could when it happened. The heavens opened up and poured rain upon us. Somehow, we ran more fast.

     Then, the unexpected happened.

     About a mile off, we saw the first lightning bolt. Then, a loud clap of thunder. We ran like our lives depended on it, which they did.

     The lightning strikes were getting closer.

     "Come on, Mia! Hurry up!" Newt hollered.

     Sudden, I felt my whole body jingle. I looked to down and flames were on my legs and torso.

     Newt ran over and helped, then mustered up his remaining strength to sling me over his shoulder to carry me to the town, which, at that point, was within a few meters. I looked over at Thomas helping Minho, who had also been struck by lightning.

     "You're going to be okay, Mia," I heard Newt say in my last seconds of consciousness.

     Then everything went black.