The Disappearance

After we continued to walk around, we came to the conclusion that Teresa was not in the building. We also found that the only exits available were locked with tightly wound chains.

     We all walked back into Aris' room and asked him more about his Maze. The situation was pretty much parallel to ours, though it seemed as if they had escaped sooner than us. They had more girls; girls are smarter- it made sense.

     "Come on," Thomas said, standing up.

     "Where are you going?" I asked him, now standing as well.

     "There has to be an exit. And we're gonna find it," he replied, with an adrenaline rush.

     "Oh, hell no. I'm not going back out there. It was nasty," I said, gagging.

     "Why? What's out there? I wanna know!" Aris demanded. This kid's pretty shucking annoying, I thought.

     "Trust me- you don't," Newt said, walking over to stand beside me. I gripped his hand, firmly. He glanced at me with a small, reassuring smile on his face. If only I knew to reassure him as well.

     "Tell me," he urged.

     "Fine. It's the hanged, rotting corpses of our rescuers. Go see for yourself," Minho sneered.

     Aris pushed past the others to see for himself. A wave of confusion crossed his face when he looked out. None of the Gladers dared to see the grotesque sight again, myself included.

     "Um, there's nothing out there..." Aris said. I looked over at Newt, feeling compelled to find out if Aris was telling the truth or not.

Minho walked out.

     "This shuck kid's telling the truth," Minho said. Newt and I walked out.

     The air smelt clean and there was no one to be seen. At this point, I was more confused than ever.

     "Wait, guys?" I began. Most of the Gladers turned their heads. "If we're alone, and locked in, what are we going to do? How will we get food?"

     "If bet this is another one of their shuck tests," Minho said, the faintest hint of a smile on his face. "I better not see any Grievers running around this klunk-hole."