The Variable

When I woke up, Minho was the only other one awake. I stood up and stretched, then walked over to him.

     "Hey," he said, softly. I smiled, groggily.

     "Hi," I whispered, sitting down beside him. Just then, Newt woke up.

     "Morning," he said, standing up. When he turned around to neaten up the bed, I noticed something.

     "Hey, what's that on your neck?" I asked, walking over to check it out.

     "What?" Newt yelled, slapping his hand on the back of his neck.

     I walked behind him and gently took his hand away. "It looks like a tattoo," I noted. "It says... Property of WICKED Group A Subject A5 The Glue. The Glue? What does that mean?"               

     "Hey, Mia. You have one, too," Minho said. By this time, most of the others had woken up and we're examining the backs of others' necks.

     "Really? What's it say? What's it say?" I asked, anxiously.

     "Property of WICKED Group A Subject A22 The Variable," he read. "Read mine!"

     "I got it," Thomas said, walking over. "It says Property of WICKED Group A Subject A7. The Leader. What's mine say?"

     Minho walked over and read it. "Uh, well, Thomas, uh..." he trailed off.

     "What's wrong?" Thomas asked.

     Newt stepped in and read it aloud. "Property of WICKED Group A Subject A2, uh, and, uh..."

     "For the love of shuck, what's it say?" Thomas yelled.

     "Well, Tommy, I'm not sure you want to know," Newt said.

     "Believe me: I do. Just tell me what my shucking tattoo says. It can't be that bad," Thomas complained.

     "Fine. Property of WICKED Group A Subject A2 To Be Killed By Group B," Minho read.

     "Group B?" Thomas asked.

     "That's your only question? Dude, you are one messed up shank," Minho teased.

     "Come on," I spoke up. "Let's go find Teresa."

     We walked out of the bedroom and into the common room which I crossed the previous night. We opened the door across from ours, and we walked in, with Thomas, Minho, Newt, and I on the lead.

     Inside, we saw no one and nothing. Well, nothing except for two messy bunk beds. Then, we heard the sounds from the bathroom.

     A toilet flushed and a faucet was turned on. Thomas rushed over to the door to go see Teresa, before Newt pulled him back.

     "Not sure if you should walk in on her in the bathroom. Probably won't like that," he said.

     "Oh, uh, yeah," Thomas muttered, sheepishly.

     Once the door opened, someone walked out, but it wasn't Teresa. It was a boy with curly hair and flannel pajamas.

     "Where's Teresa?" Thomas yelled.

     "Who? Look, I don't know where I am. Who are you guys?" the boy asked.

     "W-we asked you first," Minho said. I rolled my eyes at his childishness.

     "Fine. I'm Aris."