The Griever Hole

As I ran along with the others, I thought to myself. We're really getting out, aren't we? The prospect of escape was still new to me, but I was excited. The adrenaline that was pumping through my veins increased with every corner we turned. And then it came.

     The Griever. We stopped short, but we weren't afraid. One of us was supposed to die, but we weren't going to let that happen. Then Alby stepped foward and spoke. "You don't want to go back. I don't want to go back. You don't remember what happened. It's awful out there. Have fun living in hell." And with that, he turned back around and dove into the Griever.

     Newt ran foward. "ALBY! ALBY!" he screamed. I walked up behind him and put my hand on his shoulder. He pulled me tight into a hug. "Don't leave me, Mia. Please, you're all I have left."

     "Oh, well, thanks, ya bloody shank," Minho remarked. "We've only known each other for three years."

     "Well, uh, sorry. Let's keep moving." Newt grabbed my hand and we ran through the Maze, together. Once we were at the Griever hole, it was decided that Chuck, Thomas, and Teresa would go in first to input the code. The rest of us would stay back and try our best to continue fighting off Grievers. "Stay by me, okay?"

     "Okay," I whisperered to Newt. After some time, Minho tested his luck and jumped in. We all followed, with Newt last, right after me. Once inside, I saw a slide kind of thing. Thomas was already going down, and the rest started to follow, which was a good thing since the metal cylinder we were in was pretty cramped.

     Going down the slide was utterly revolting. It was oily and greasy and I was so happy to get off. Once we were off, a couple Gladers vomited, including Thomas. After making sure they were alright, we noticed our surroundings. There were people studying us from the windows. They looked like scientists.

     A woman came up and began speaking to us, but u didn't focus in on what she was saying. I searched aimlessly around, then my gaze fell on Newt. I, baffled, looked at him for advice. He shrugged and squeezed my hand, reassuringly.

     "It's going to be okay...I think," he mouthed. I nodded, holding back the tears that were starting to form. I swallowed the growing lump in my throat.

     Then, from out of the shadows came a person I never thought I'd see again. A person I never wanted to see again. A person I never hoped I'd have to see or speak to again.

     Out from the shadows came Gally.