Chapter 3: Part Of The Company

"He was being mean to Bilbo." I protested.

Gandalf sighed. "He didn't mean it, I can assure you."

"Gandalf, who exactly is Thorin?" Neil inquired.

"He is the rightful heir to the throne of Erebor. It was a grand kingdom of dwarves." Gandalf explained.

"Was?" Percy questioned.

Gandalf's face softened. "I should've told you more about our quest. You see in order to make sure the prophecy comes true, we must help Thorin and his company on their journey to reclaim their kingdom, Erebor."

"So a quest within a quest..." Percy trailed off.

Neil groaned. "Feels like a side quest."

I glanced over to where the dwarves had wandered off to. So Thorin is a King to be? I couldn't help, but walk towards the dining room as I heard the dwarves talking. I stood by the door frame alongside Bilbo, Neil, and Percy, who followed me. Meanwhile Gandalf entered, sitting beside Thorin.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asked.

Thorin nodded. "Aye, envoys from all seven kingdoms."

"And what did the dwarves of the Iron Hill say? Is Dain with us?" Dwalin inquired.

"They will not come." Thorin replied, earning looks of disappointments from the dwarves. "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone."

"You're doing a quest?" Bilbo asked, interrupting them.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light." Gandalf urged.

Bilbo then rushed out to find some more light. Once he left, Gandalf took out a foreign looking map. It's one I have never seen.

"Far to the east, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak." Gandalf said as he placed the map on the table.

At that moment, Bilbo brought in a candle, placing it on the table. It was then when his eyes laid on the map. "The Lonely Mountain."

"Aye, Óin has read the portents, and the portents say: it is time." Gloin mentioned.

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold. When the birds of the old return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end." Óin added.

"Uh, what beast?" Bilbo questioned.

"Well that would be a reference to Smaug the terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne fire breather, teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks, extremely fond of precious metals." Bofur explained.

I mentally groaned. Not another dragon...I've already had my fair share of those foul beasts. Bilbo cut Bofur off before he could continue on. "Yes, I know what a dragon is."

Ori stood up on his feet. "I'm not afraid, I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of the dwarfish iron right up his jacksy!"

Dori pulled him back down in his chair. "Sit down!"

"The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us, but we number just thirteen, and not thirteen of the best, nor brightest." Balin retorted.

"Hey! Who are you calling dim?" Ori inquired.

At that moment, several of the dwarves began talking above one another.

"We may be few in number. But we're fighters, all of us! To the last dwarf!" Fili exclaimed.