Chapter 4: The Trolls

Once night fell, we made camp in the forest. After we ate, most of the dwarves were asleep around the campfire. Blackjack and Thingol sat near the ponies, while Storm lied beside me. Neil and Percy sat beside me, they were both dozing off. Gandalf sat near us, smoking on his pipe. Meanwhile Fili and Kili sat by the fire.

At that moment, we heard a wild shriek, startling Neil and Percy. I heard that same sound when I fought that creature by the waterfall. It must be orcs. Bilbo turned around, looking at Fili and Kili. "What was that?"

"Orcs." Kili said.

"Orcs?" Bilbo repeated, rather baffled.

Thorin was now awake upon hearing the word: orcs. We remained silent as Fili spoke to Bilbo. "Throat cutters. There'd be dozens of them out there. The low lands are crawling with them."

"They strike, in the wee small hours, when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet, no screams. Just lots of blood." Kili added.

Bilbo looked horrified as he looked out in the distance, worried about the orcs. At that moment, Kili and Fili both began to laugh at his reaction. I clenched my jaw, preparing to intervene. However before I could say anything, Thorin spoke up. His voice filled with anger and a stern look appeared on his face. "You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?"

"We didn't mean anything by it." Kili assured him.

"No you didn't. You know nothing of the world." Thorin retorted.

We then watched Thorin storm off towards the ponies to be alone. By now all the other dwarves were awake.

"Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs." Balin explained. "After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got' there first. Moria had been taken by legions of orcs, led by the most vile of all their race, Azog the Defiler. The giant Gundabad orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the king."

I listened to the story, rather horrified. Thorin must've not had an easy life, which is something I can relate to. However...this was war. It was different than a quest or mission. I had been in one war once, and I didn't want to repeat that experience.

"Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief, he went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him. A young dwarf prince facing down the pale orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe. His armor rent, wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield." Balin continued. "Azog the Defiler learned that day, that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied, and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated, but there was no feast, nor song that night for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few, had survived. And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow, there is one I could call king."

As Thorin turned back around, I noticed all the dwarves standing and looking at him with respect. Now I see why he was the leader of the company, he had earned it.

"And the pale orc? What happened to him?" Bilbo asked.

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Thorin retorted.

At Thorin's comment, Gandalf looked at Balin as if they weren't convinced, which made me feel very uneasy. Time had passed and I finally fell asleep next to Storm.

"Merilaerdes..."

I heard a faint whisper. The voice got louder and louder until I woke up. However I couldn't get up. I began to panic. I glanced around to see I was no longer with the company, but in a different forest. The snow covered much of the ground. However right next to me, I saw a man with dark long hair with royal blue robes, which were ripped apart and now bathed in blood. He gave me a weak smile.