Chapter 6

Sophie's Point of View:

"Fine," Keefe sighs, reaching up to run his hand through his golden-blonde hair. 

"Tomorrow!" Alden interjects, putting a hand on Keefe's shoulder. "Whatever torture you want to do, do it tomorrow. It's 11:30!"

"Tam, Linh and Marella, you guys are staying here tonight. I've already contacted your parents," Della adds in her musical voice. "I'm sure Fitz and Biana can lend you some clothes." Marella gives Biana a quizzical look, and she nods.

"Well, I'm sure our parents were glad we're not coming back home," Tam rolls his eyes and crosses his arms across his chest. Linh places a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Actually, they seemed quite disappointed. But we can talk about this tomorrow! Dex is like half asleep already." Alden replies, and we all look at Dex. His eyelids are half-closed.

"OK," Linh agrees, heading back to our sleeping room. The rest of us follow, with Keefe at the end. I wait for him.

"It's not your fault, Keefe," I say, smiling sadly at him.

"Yes, Foster, it is. I did it and I'll do anything to fix it." A hint of his old smirk flashes across his face, but it quickly disappears when he sees Fitz. "I don't even know why I did it. I'm so stupid."

I sigh. "Give it time, and everyone will forgive you."

_____

Tossing and turning in my sleeping bag, I check my iPod for the time. 1:30. I sigh and grab my iPod and headphones, heading for the door. I just can't sleep; maybe a walk will help. Inserting my headphones, I play my favourite song. 'You are the reason,' by Calum Scott.

There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now

There goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now

I open the gates and choose a random path, breathing in the fresh air. I end up at a beautiful lake surrounded by luscious scenery. I didn't realize Everglen was so big. I sit down on the stone bench, and the chorus plays.

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

"Hey," Fitz's voice brings me back to reality, and I turn around, startled. I pause the music and take out my earbuds. "What are you doing out here?"

"Taking a walk. I couldn't sleep," I reply cautiously. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep either. Then I saw you leaving, and decided to follow..." He confesses, sitting down next to me. "What are you listening to?"

I play the music and give him an earbud, putting the other in my left ear. We have to sit so closely our shoulders are touching.

There goes my hand shaking
And you are the reason
My heart keeps bleeding
I need you now

If I could turn back the clock
I'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day
Keeping you safe

"Whoa," Fitz breathes. "This is my song! It literally describes my life." He grins and me, and my heart flutters. I pause the music to listen to him. "Where'd you find this?"

"I just heard it where you were..."

"Being awful, undeserving and mean to you when my dad's mind broke?"

"Yeah." I blink in surprise. "Wait... did you say undeserving?"

"Mhm. I was and I still am." He wraps an arm around me, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear with his other hand in a way that makes my brain turn to mush. "I'm so sorry about that."

"Stop, you sound like Keefe!" He laughs at that, and I play the music again.

And I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason, oh
(I don't wanna fight no more)
(I don't wanna hurt no more)
(I don't wanna cry no more)
(Come back, I need you to hold me closer now)
You are the reason, oh
(Just a little closer now)
(Come a little closer now)
(I need you to hold me tonight)

I quietly start singing the last verse, unable to help it. The song is just so amazing.

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
'Cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

"Has anyone ever told you that you are a beautiful singer?" Fitz asks. I move my head onto his shoulder.

"No."

"Well, they should. Because you are."

"Thanks, I guess," I stand up. "Alright, enough sappy love songs!"

Fitz laughs and stands up too, removing his earbud. I copy him, glancing at the perfectly still lake which reflects the moon and the stars.

"Hey, we never got to go dancing with Sandor and Grizel!" Fitz comments. "Wanna... do it now?"

"What, dance?" Even in the dark, I can see him blushing, but his amazing teal eyes are shining like the stars.

"Yeah. Want to?"

"Of course! Too bad we don't have any silver pants for you to change into."

He smiles and takes my hand, and we start dancing to imaginary music, totally forgetting my iPod is on the bench.

Of course, when I take the first step, I step on Fitz's foot, trip, and nearly fall over. Luckily, he catches me before I hit the ground. It goes on like that for a while, before he twirls me and bows, smiling his charming smile.

"Well, now we know I'm a terrible dancer!" I grin back at him. "I'm clumsy enough walking!"

"Can I...kiss you? Wait, did I say that? I don't-" I stand on my tip-toes (Yes, he's that tall), throw my arms around his neck and kiss him. He makes a sound of surprise, then kisses me back, cupping my face in his with one hand with the other on the small of my back. The kiss is nothing like the one like Dex. It feels... right. When we finally pull away, I'm smiling too much I almost can't kiss him again.