Chapter 14

"Shinazugawa-kun must be very upset." Mitsuri said as she watches the wind pillar storm off.
"He's hot-headed as usual. Let him be." Iguro said with his arms crossed.
"Sanemi will come around. Don't worry." Kagaya assured them.
"I called a meeting for another reason. I heard there are fae children who came close to our borders."
The children looked up to him shyly.
"We followed Hime-sama because we wanted to play!" kei proclaimed with his tails wagging.
"Uhn!" Haru nodded in agreement while clutching to Muichiro's leg.
"It is dangerous to leave your place by yourselves."
"But we wanted to play and we miss Hime!" Non whined cutely.
"Perhaps my children can entertain you. I have something to discuss with your princess."
Kagaya's five children walk out the room and bowed down at the children.
The fae kids hid behind Chiaku. The fairy princess smiled at them and patted their heads gently.
"It's alright, my little turnips. Yuki can come with you."
The children look at her then reluctantly hold hands with Kagaya's children. Yuki transformed back into a gigantic beast. He gave his master a quick look before following them.
"Will they be okay? This is a safe place but those children seem to lure demons." Muichiro asked as he watches Haru and Dadaimaru wave at him.
"Yuki's with them and he loves children. He won't let anything bad happen to them."
"I trust your words, Lady Chiaku. As for those children, they are young and tender. Their blood is more intoxicating than that of a marechi or of an adult fae, causing them to attract more demons than usual."
"Marechi?"
"It's a rare blood type that is very precious to demons. Consuming one marechi is equivalent to ten or hundred humans. Sanemi is a marechi."
"Eh?" Chiaku suddenly became concerned for the wind pillar.
"Do not fret. Sanemi is a hashira. He can handle himself." Rengoku placed a hand on her shoulder.

All of a sudden, they heard Taka's voice from afar.
"You look pretty! Marry me, I'll feed you berries and shortcake everyday!"
"But I am a boy."
Taka screamed in disbelief. They heard Kagaya's daughters hushing him so he won't start crying.
The Pillars laughed aloud. Kagaya chuckled. "He must have mistaken Kiriya for a girl. Now that brings back memories."
"Which one is Kiriya, Oyakata-sama?" Tanjiro asked.
"My son and heir, the dark haired one."
"Eeeehhhh?!!! That one is a boy?!" Zenitsu exclaimed in disbelief. Tanjiro hit his friend on his shoulder in fear of offending their master. Kagaya only smiled in return.

"Now it comes to me. Why is Taka-kun so eager to marry girls? Isn't he too young for that?" Shinobu asked Chiaku.
"Actually, I have never seen a tengu bride in my entire life."
"Huh?"
They suddenly looked at her with sparkling curiosity, asking her to go on.
"Tengus live secluded in mountains and all tengus are males. They are usually hot-headed and harsh in manner that even my people are terrified of them. I heard rumors that they usually take humans to be their brides and that Taka-kun's mother is one. However, she died after Taka was born. That is probably why he is so eager to marry someone. Perhaps he is looking for someone who would care for him the way a mother does."
"That's sad, he never met his mother." Tanjiro's red eyes gives a sad longing look.
"But a tengu and a human? Is that even possible?" Iguro's heterochromatic eyes widened in shock.
"Love comes in all forms they say. My mother's brother fell in love with a human many years ago and chose to give up the grace that was given to him so they can be together."
"That's incredible!" Mitsuri squealed.
"What happened to him?" Shinobu asked.
"My mother told me how he changed. His red hair turned white and he grew old. He passed away the way a human does."
"What about his family? His children?" Zenitsu asked.
"My mother won't tell me any further. She always gives me this painful look whenever she talks about Uncle Mamoru. I think the fleeting life of a human saddens her." Chiaku looked up to the sky and smiled. "But I think in a way, humans are amazing. Despite their short life they can do many things and can make every moment memorable."
"Ano, is there a chance that a human can turn into a fairy, perhaps?" Tanjiro asked curiously.
"I heard there are instances that a human mate can change but I'm afraid I cannot prove it to you. But my onii-sama told me that Dadaimaru's father is a human who married the mermaid princess. I cannot distinguish him from the rest though. He looks exactly like a merman."
"So, is there a chance for you and Shinazugawa?"
"Eh?"
Giyuu's companions flinched. That's too straightforward, Tomioka!
"What do you mean?"
"What do you think of Shinazugawa?" Muichirou suddenly interfered. His companions all glaring at him. Don't make the situation worse, Tokito! Shinazugawa will kill us!
Rengoku and Tengen resist the urge to strangle both of them.
Tanjiro laughed uncomfortably and covered Tokito and Giyuu's mouths. "Please forget about that, Chiaku-sama! Uhm, what do you usually eat? Is there any preference for a specific race?"
His companions sighed in relief. So smooth, Kamado-kun, so smooth.
"Most of us don't usually eat meat so we prefer fruits and berries. I like all kinds of sweets!"
"Ah! That's great! I can make us some tonight if you like!"
"Really?"
Tanjiro hummed in response. Chiaku beamed upon hearing that and gave him a hug. "I'll look forward to it! Thank you, Tanjiro-kun!"
Tanjiro blushed furiously as Zenitsu strangles him out of jealousy.
Unbeknownst to them, a pair of eyes is watching them, glaring at the crimson-haired boy.