Chapter 14: Memories

13th Week of School

Sunday...

"What do you remember from the day of your injury?"

"What midterms were you studying for?"

"Can you name all your cousins?"

"Do you recognize the person from this photo."

The doctors consistently asked about my condition, to determine how intact my memory has been.

I had no trouble remembering past events. But after my head injury things have been different.

Repeatedly my family and friends had come to visit me, but I wouldn't be able to think straight with them there and had mental breakdowns and headaches. This started to worry them, nonetheless I knew I didn't want to spend another week at the hospital, so I finally got clearance from the doctor to be discharged. And spend the rest of my recovery time at home.

My dad insisted he pick me up but I didn't want him to not go to work because of me, so I decided to ask if Jake could bring me.

I'm waiting outside the hospital in my casual wear with a nurse as I wait for the car. Chilly, I look around and finally see Jake pulling in to the front and I rush towards his black pick-up.

I see Dante though in the passenger seat so I sit in the back. Once I enter the car they both turn around looking at me concern in their eyes.

"You don't need to stare at my like that, I'm fine." My speech had gotten a lot better once I did some mental exercises, which is a relief.

I shrug off their looks and stare ominously out the window, hoping to drown out my worries and concerns.

The drive consists of an awkward silence between the three of us, I felt really bad about me shrugging off their concern, but I continue to just look at the houses we pass by until we get home.

I notice we're not going the right way, so I break the silence and ask.

"Where are we going? This isn't the way to the house."

"Kiara...we're going to the Academy."

My heart starts racing as I panic and start breathing heavily.

"What? Why?!"

"Calm down, we knew you wouldn't go if had told, we need to figure out what to do with that porcupine before you go back to school."

"Okay, fine. But don't call him a porcupine, they're cute and he's worse than a porcupine."

"Whatever you say."

I look at Dante through the window, he kept his gaze to the front and refused to make eye contact with me anymore. Did something happen while I was in the hospital? I heard they had to give me a lot of anesthesia when I had a breakdown, so some visits I didn't have a clue about.

We eventually arrive at the school, hesitant I stay still as Dante and Jake exit the car, realizing I'm still inside Jake opens the door for me and grabs my arm to drag me inside.

I start getting flashbacks to what happened, the following, the pain and the horrible memories.

I start holding my head to try to make it stop and shrug off Jake's grip and continue to head to the school entrance.

We eventually make it to the principal's office and we enter first.

One inside I make first eye-contact with Nathan, along with his presumed guardian beside him. Surprised and scared now I back away, not expecting him to be here. I look behind me at both Jake and Dante, but they share the same look, they didn't know either.