Chapter 37: Lights Out

February 25th, 2019...

Today, I had decided to spend a couple of hours after school in the library before going home so I could print some photos to have it approved for our yearbook.

Although I'm a proud introvert, there are a few activities I do enjoy doing. Hence why I'm in the school's chess club, Junior band, and yearbook committee.

None of my other friends have the same interests as me so I ended up doing this alone. Most of the time, I had only done activities for the sake of not being by myself so I could stay with Mari or Irene, but because they wanted to branch out to do things they liked, I didn't think I would fit in with those types of crowds this time around like I did when we were younger.

It reminded me of last year when both Mari and Irene wanted to form a dance group to perform in our school's talent show. Even if I wanted to say no, I didn't really have a choice when it came to the two of them. Fast-forward to the day when we are presenting, I mess up the choreography and make our group look horrible. Before, You didn't have to be good to join, you just had to have the will to do it and the desperation from the teachers for participants.

So now, Mari joined the dance club by herself and I decided to help out with some activities that I love doing.

I'm not as involved as I was in my graduating year at elementary, but it was something I enjoyed so it made me happy nonetheless.

When I was setting up at a computer, The librarian, Ms. Ava tells me that she is going to head out for a few minutes and asks if I can handle staying here alone. I tell her it's fine and that I would be alright for a while to organize the photos and put my focus towards the files in front of me.

I never actually had taken any of them due to my inexperience with a camera, but Ruby was part of the school council and did the photography — giving me some photos to use. I had showed some ideas I had for this year's book layout when I had some inspiration from looking at some colouring books. The yearbook committee were so ecstatic by them that they were more than happy to bring me into this project to help them out.

The drafts were due the last week of June, so I still had some time to get these done and run it by the committee members before the final submission to our school's yearbook sponsors.

While looking through the sports file, I happened to stumble upon a folder containing some of the football team's games, and I smile softly seeing our star-player at the centre of most photos.

It was no secret that Dante was our Ace, in his first year at OakShore he already showed capability to be the captain, against the sophomores who were also on the team. They even got more attention than the Senior division, who haven't been doing so well compared to them.

I remember Dante had shown a strong passion to play since he was young.

When we were both 6 years old, we were given a basketball to play with and decided to play catch. Although it was a terrible idea, we were kids and we didn't really know better. When Dante had passed me the ball, his throw was so powerful that it wounded up hitting me in the head and I ended up falling on my back from the impact.

I immediately started crying and Mrs. Greenwood had berated Dante for throwing it too hard at me when I was passing it to him softly and safely and he apologized by giving me some of his secret stash of Oreos.

Thinking back to those times, an uncontrollable smile forms on my face.

Once I realize I'm getting distracted I shake my head to regain my focus and look back at the work set up in front of me.