Chapter 36: Participation

Tuesday, February 19th, 2019...

Irene had asked me to help her to organize some files for our school's upcoming festivities for the next two months, and considering I was available, I was more than glad to help her out today...

We were in the cafeteria after school going through the work when I stumbled upon the schedule for the rest of the school year.

Fundraisers...

Fairs/Carnivals...

Blood Drive...

Charity Work...

It looks like our school was going to be very busy for the rest of the year, and since Oakshore was a private academy, we can almost be guaranteed an immense large pool of donations by the end of it all.

I looked through the list of foundations and one name caught my eye.

"Hey Irene, what's this event about?" I asked pointing at the name.

Irene stares at it a moment trying to remember and her eyes glint as she recalls what it was.

"Oh! That's United Relay. It's to raise money for United as One, a charity organization that funds research facilities that try to find cures, vaccines, and treatment for deadly diseases." She says.

I nod in understanding as Irene continues to explain.

"Before the 1st of May, groups compete with each other to see who can raise the most money, and the top three teams will win prizes. During the week of the deadline, the teams on Friday will join some activities throughout the day where you can earn points that will equal a certain amount of money."

Just as I'm about to say something she continues.

"That's not all though! Sponsors will be at the event to choose groups they think will be victorious, and they will also earn money for their organizations depending on how well their selected groups are. It's basically a fun competition for the sake of helping out and contributing to a noble cause!" Irene says diligently

"Wow! Really? This sounds like a lot of fun how many members do you need in a team?"

I questioned, having a brilliant idea.

"Umm...around 6-10 people I think. Why?"

"Perfect!" I exclaimed excitedly. Irene furrows his eyebrows and looks at me in confusion.

"Irene this is ideal! We can form a group with the others and compete! I haven't been in anything like this, of course, but this is the perfect opportunity to join some of the school events. Think about it, we all have our strengths in different aspects, our team would do awesome and we would help raise a lot of money!" I tell her.

Irene at first felt uncertain idea, but eventually was convinced and told me to tell the boys about it while she went to meet with Mari and Jake in the drama room, they were preparing for another audition at a local theater, so they went to practice alone telling us beforehand.

I picked up my things and went to see Dante who was talking with his friends. I saw him smiling and enjoying himself, so before I got close enough for him to see me I stop and think for a moment.

It would probably be too awkward if I just went up to his table with all his friends, I should just text him to meet me at my locker.

I text him from outside the cafeteria after looking around and seeing nowhere nearby.

Dante

Hey, I'm sorry to bother you, but do you have a second?