Chapter 18: Getaway Pt.1

Winter Break...
Sunday, December 22nd

Most of my weekend consisted of packing my clothes and things for our trip and talking to my friends in the group chat I made.

We were all really excited to spend time away from here but also a little nervous. It was a last-minute decision and our families managed to schedule something together. It warms my heart though that they're comfortable with all of us going on a trip even if we're not all related by blood.

7:30 am

I finish up some final school work on my laptop and put it in my bag once I'm done.

I want to use some time from our trip to at least try and do a few assignments so I'm ahead of schedule. So I don't get too lazy.

Once I'm done I check my phone and I see a bunch of texts from everyone. Our flight was today in the afternoon so they were probably doing the same as me.

Irene: Did you all pack your things yet?

Maria: Yep

Jake: Hardly

Dante: Nope

Andrew: Of course

Irene: Seriously guys? What about you Kiara?

Dante: We still have time before we go, unless your bringing a whole house, packing should be a breeze

Andrew: Well you never know what you could need

Maria: Helloooooo

Jake: Ki text back

Dante: Dont ignore us

Andrew: All of you be patient!

Jake: Text.

Dante: Us.

Irene: Back.

I laugh at the replies and continue to look through the texts.

Maria: What if she's gone missing and doesn't have her phone?!?

Jake: Guys don't be ridiculous, that's going a little overboard. She doesn't use her phone often so she probably hasn't seen it yet.

Irene: Okay that does it, I'm coming over to your house.

Jake: Did you not read what I just sent?!

Maria: Relax Jake, she's just taking precautions.

————-

Shocked at Irene's text I read it over again and check what time it was sent.

Nearly 30 minutes ago...

While debating whether or not she was joking, I hear a sudden pounding on my door that causes me to jump.

Sure enough, Irene is there smiling with her suitcase and strides into my room.

"So, you haven't been answering to our texts because?"

She looks at me accusingly

"I didn't see it. I was doing work." I shrug in embarrassment. As if it wasn't a big deal she drops the subject.

Irene's parents wouldn't be able to accompany us on the trip, so my mom would be her supervisor for our vacation. Chris had to stay home because he gets sick when taking a plane so my dad decided to set him up with playdates and stay with him while we were gone.