ch. 9 • roman pt. 1

Weeks went by, and I decided that it would just be best to focus on the kids, and my growing project. See, ever since I had gotten pregnant for the second time, I started considering the fact that me and Lance were providing for six people instead of one now, which we were still adjusting to it. So I decided that the best thing would be to open my own gym, not one I co-owned with two other people. And, maybe even move into a bigger place. So I was working with Haskey to get a gym in New York City, where I would be the sole owner. Or co-owner with Lance, depends on how and where this goes in the future. But Lance didn't know about it, so I couldn't go through with it just yet. Plus, I still had three months of maternity leave.

I had been going out to clubs (much to Lance's annoyance), seen Alton again, slept with Cash (Cali had been right about the loud thing), and had dated a guy named Nate for two weeks (really dark and moody, so I decided to ghost him). Now, I was gingerly dating a guy named Roman, who I had at the club. Surprisingly, we didn't have sex right away, and instead he took me out to eat at two in the morning and we just talked. It was weird. Lance, who had been with me when I met him, didn't like it at all, and didn't believe me when I told him we hadn't had sex that night.

Yep, he really does think that low of me.
Tonight, I was going on a date with him, and he refused to tell me what we were doing, just that I didn't need to dress nice. I was currently getting ready, trying to put on makeup and do my hair whilst also bouncing Jace on one hip and talking to Aria about kindergarten.

"What is kindergarten like?" She said as she walked into the bathroom. I continued to do my highlighter, looking at her in the mirror.

"I didn't go to kindergarten." I muttered, not fully paying attention. She gasped, obviously shocked.

"How did you learn the ABC's?!"

"I don't know the ABC's." I joked, wondering if she would take it seriously.

"I've heard you sing them to Ciara, you liar! Did dad teach you?"

"No, silly. You can learn things outside of school. How do you think your dad knows how to open soda caps with a shoelace?" I explained, laughing. She shrugged.

"I thought you learned that when you're like, old. Like eighteen." She mumbled, lost in thought. I looked at her, amused.

"Wait a minute, how old do you think I am?"

"Like, seventeen. And dad is eighteen." She explained in a serious tone. I laughed.

"Hon, I'm twenty five. Your dad is almost twenty eight." I said. "But I'm flattered you think I'm seventeen."

"Where are you going?" She asked curiously. I froze for a second, wondering if I should tell her or not.
Not.

"I'm spending the night with some friends. I'll be back tomorrow. I think your dad is taking you out to eat tonight with your uncle." I explained. I had never actually met Lance's brother, and he always seemed to show up to things when I wasn't there. Sometimes I wondered if he just didn't like me.

"Can we go to McDonalds?!" She gasped, looking excited. I smiled.

"You're gonna have to ask your dad about that. I'm not sure." I finished, and put everything away.

"Why are you gone all the time?" She asked suddenly, catching me off guard. I stammered for a second, having no idea how to reply to that.

"I-I, uh, I have to work a lot?" I said lamely.

"But you stay overnight. Dad doesn't read bedtime stories good. And sometimes he just makes them up and they're scary." She complained. I sat down on the side of the tub in front of her, looking up at her.