ch. 29 • rekindling

I pulled into the parking lot and got out quickly, wiping my eyes with my sleeve and trying to compose myself before I entered the house. Didn't want the kids to see me crying. I unlocked the door and stepped in, dropping all my shit at the door and kicking my shoes off.

"Mom's home!" Lance shouted, sitting up on the couch. The sound of feet hitting the floor, and then I was bombarded by the girls.

"Hey! I missed you guys." I hugged them, and then walked into the living room, where Lance was.

"You're home early." He noticed, sitting back down on the couch.

"Yeah. What're you doing?"

"Bills." He motioned to the pile of papers on the coffee table. "Hey, by the way, Adele says she's not going to be able to babysit for us anymore. She wants to make sure we know that she means never again." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"What! Why?" This sucked ass, seeing as she was our main babysitter whenever we couldn't have the kids in daycare.

"Because she's pregnant." He leaned back against the couch, shaking his head slightly. "And when I told her just because she's pregnant doesn't mean she has to quit on me, she got super pissed and said "Well I'm sorry my pregnancy is inconvenient to you!" And then Will yelled at me for a while. So in conclusion, we're gonna need to find a new babysitter." He concluded.

"Uh, okay? Was not expecting that this morning." I muttered, sitting down next to him.

"Well I wasn't expecting you home until late tonight. Everything okay?" He stretched his arm loosely over the back of the couch behind me, not with his arm around me but close. I leaned against his shoulder, taking a deep breath.

"No. We broke up." I said quietly. "Over a goddamn baby." As soon as it was out of my mouth I realized how that sounded, and Lance jerked forward a little bit, turning to stare at me.

"You're pregnant?" He gasped slightly, the anger already starting to show on his face. I shook my head, smiling sadly.

"No. And that's the problem. He wants a kid but I don't think I can take anymore. I mean, I already have four and I'm not even thirty yet." I sighed in relief as he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me against his side.

"Who needs that asshole anyways? He's a bitch." He took the sleeve of his shirt and wiped my eyes, brushing my hair away from my face. "Plus, now that Roman's out of the picture, you're free game."

"This is a shit way of making me feel better." I said dryly, letting my head rest against his neck. "Although, you're right. I am free game."

"What are you suggesting?" He looked down at me, smirking. I shrugged.

"Take it how you want." I put my feet up on the couch, laying down in his lap. I hadn't slept much the night before. "I'm just saying, there's someone at the top of my waiting list and his name starts with an L." And I wasn't even lying. He exhaled shakily, putting his hand on my knee.

"Well in that case..." He smirked.

"On one condition." I stopped him, putting my hand over his, stopping it in its place. "No fucking around this time. First of all, I'm not getting together right away. You gotta work for it." I gave him a serious look.

Every time I had dated Lance (besides the one time we had really dated like ten years ago) we had kinda messed around and just had sex, nothing else.
But I was 26. That's not what I wanted anymore.

"Why do you always make me work for ass?" He complained, leaning his head back and whining. I shook my head.

"Not ass, Lance. Are you even listening to what I'm saying?" I'm talking about love." I sang the word 'love', wiggling my eyebrows. He chuckled.

"Oh, so it's love, now?"

"Well maybe I'll love you." I teased, even though I was offhandedly telling the truth. He shrugged.

"Well maybe I'll love you too." He mused, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. I choked just a little bit, trying not to smile too hard.

"Well shit, I guess I have to date you now." I sighed dramatically.

"What about the whole 'work for it' thing?" He miffed, raising an eyebrow.

"Well here's the thing." I sat up, turning to that I was facing him. "What you need to understand is that if we're dating, it's just me. It's not "I'm bored so I'm gonna go bring someone home from the club." You actually have to commit to it." I lectured, giving him a condescending look. He gave me an annoyed look.

"What, you think I'll cheat?" Oh, this boy. Always so quick to jump to conclusions.

"No. I'm just telling you the conditions. In case you can't do that." I explained gently. He nodded his head.

"I did it last time we dated, didn't I?" He scoffed, his eyes darting down to Jace, who was trying to climb onto the couch and into Lance's lap.

"I guess you have a point. But let's not tell anyone right away, okay? I just broke up with my old boyfriend a couple hours ago." I whispered, kissing him softly for about three seconds before Jace interrupted. He had climbed into Lance's lap and had pulled himself into standing position with the help of Lance's shoulders so that he could stand in between us. He laughed, pulling him into a sitting position.

"It's weird, all the kids moving around now." He sighed. The twins were days away from walking, and we were constantly trying to get them to do so. They could stand up, pull themselves up places, and sit in chairs, but they just weren't there yet with walking.

"Yeah, now they can all be making a mess at the same time." I said sarcastically. He laughed.

"Sooner they can walk, the sooner they can do shit on their own." He reminded me.

"Just think. Someday we can tell them to make their own dinner." I said. Ah, the dreams of the future.

sorry this is really short lmao but it the next part all needs to be together so whatever.