ch. 22 • birthdays and reconciliations

We spent the remainder of that day watching the kids and playing with them.
It made me sad to see how fast my babies were growing up. Aria had turned 6 in December, Ciara was turning 2 next month, and the twins were almost 6 months old now. They all seemed so big. And I was soon to be 26. Time was speeding by.

On the morning of my birthday, I woke up to four laughing and giggling kids, and a batter stained Lance standing above me with breakfast in bed.
Waffles. Despite my loathing for pancakes, I loved waffles. While I ate, they all sat on the bed with me, the kids eating most of my food, while Lance had an aneurysm every time someone dropped something on the bed.

Finally, after the food was gone and I was dressed and presentable, I was given little drawings from the kids, a card that said mom on the front from Aria (got a little watery-eyed on that one) and a shirt that said SMD on it and a new nike duffel bag from Lance (he also informed me that I would be getting the best present later. Cocky, I know). I was thoroughly enjoying my day, and then I was getting out of the shower after just putting the kids to bed when my phone rang, showing Roman's icon. Roman was calling me. I considered letting it go to voicemail, but the larger half of me was curious to what he had to say.

"Hello?" I answered it.

"Hey. Happy birthday." He said. His voice was soft and groggy, as if he had been sleeping.

"Thanks. What are you calling me for?"

"I just wanted to apologize for how I was acting at the party last week. You were drunk out of your mind and you didn't deserve to be berated like that." He apologized. I was a little taken aback.

"Well uh...I don't remember most of it, so don't worry about it." I sighed.

"I miss you." He blurted, then swore under his breath. "Sorry, I just can't help it. I miss you so goddamn much."

"Are you high?" I muttered.

"A little bit. But I've just been thinking. I was so fucking stupid, Cara. I was being jealous over nothing. I'm still in love with you." He explained desperately. I thought for a moment.

"I'll come over tomorrow and we can talk about it. Night, Rome." And with that, I hung up. I finished getting ready for bed, then left the bathroom and went into Lance's room. He was already asleep, still sitting up with his hand on his chin. He looked so peaceful. Why was I even considering talking to Roman again when the greatest thing in my life was right in front of me?

I had no answer, but I didn't plan on not seeing Roman. I couldn't help it. I got into bed, gently guiding him into lying down, him mumbling nonsense to me in a half asleep state. He then actually woke up, and groaned.

"Ugh, I forgot your birthday present." He groaned, squinting at me. I waved it off.

"It's okay, just go to sleep." He shook his head.
"No, no. It's important." He sat up, rubbing his eyes and stretching, before reaching over to his bedside table and pulling out an envelope. I gave him a confused look but took it, opening it slowly. I pulled out two long slips of paper. Two tickets to Venice Italy.

"Lance, what the fuck?" I gasped, staring at them.
"I thought we could use a little vacation away. Well, it's six months from now, but that gives us some time." He explained. I was shocked. I couldn't even find the words.

"Lance, this is amazing." I hugged him tightly, grinning. He chuckled.

"Yeah, I thought it would be fun." He then scoffed. "You thought I was really going to wake up just to have sex? I'm disappointed." He then set the tickets on the counter, crawling on top of me. "Although, you were right."