ch. 35 • saying goodbye

Cara's P.O.V

It was weird, being at Dean's house again. I wasn't sure how they still had it if they traveled all over the place, but then again, I had no idea how much a bounty hunter makes, let alone two or three. But as soon as I knocked on the door and Sam let me in, memories came flooding back. The morning that Dean showed me his secret hidden bathroom, staying in the hotel, shit like that.

"Hey. Uh, Dean went on a supply run, so he should be back shortly. You want something to drink?" He asked. His eyes were on Shay, and I didn't blame him. She looked a lot like her dad. It was a wonder how our families actually believed she was Lance's daughter. Adele claims Lance had blonde hair when he was growing up.

"Sure. What you got?"

"Well, mostly soda and water, seeing as Dean is on a supply run to get the alcohol." Sam led me into the kitchen, opening the fridge. There was a million boxes of leftovers and sodas. That's it. I took a soda (even though I don't drink soda) just so I'd have something to do.

"Dean knew I was coming, right?" I asked, uncertain he had even known I was coming today. Sam rolled his eyes.

"He's been talking about it all day. Nervous to meet his daughter. Left at the last second because he didn't want to be here when you got here. Apparently he wanted to make an entrance, which he will mostly likely do. Sorry about him in advance, by the way. He just found out he's lactose intolerant and he's been kind of pissy lately." He explained. I couldn't help but laugh. Still an immature five year old, that boy.

"Just found out? Doesn't his diet include mostly cheese?"

"Yeah. That's why he's so upset." As he was talking, I heard the door slam, signaling that Dean was home. Footsteps down the stairs, and then down the hallway and into the kitchen.

"Hey." He said simply, setting the bags down on the counter. He wasn't facing me.

Ugh, the least he could do about it was be mature about it.

"Long time no see." I said, smiling slightly. Sam patted my shoulder before exiting the room, closing the door behind him. Dean turned around, leaning against the counter, opening a beer with the bottle opener on his keys.

"You're sure she's really mine?" He asked skeptically, taking a drink.

"Well, I know the paternity test was negative for Lance, so you would be the only other option." I explained, bouncing Shay in her lap. He nodded slightly, taking in this information.

"Is there anyway a paternity test can be wrong?" Wow, he wasn't trying to hide his distaste for being the father at all. Nice.

"I don't know, Dean. Can you at least pretend you care?" I said tightly, giving him a pleading look. "She's your daughter. Jesus Christ."

"Who's on the birth certificate? Me or him?" He ignored my words, but his eyes were on Shay.

"Lance." I admitted.

"That's illegal, you know." He mentioned, raising his eyebrows.

"Well, if you're so worried about the birth certificate and all that shit, why don't you go buy an at-home paternity test to test it?" I said, my tone raising a little more than I intended. He set his bottle down, sighing.

"Fine." He grabbed the jacket he had thrown in the chair next to me and put it back on. "Cara, the only reason I'm double checking is because I really can't be a father to her and you know it. I'm barely ever here, my job is dangerous, and I'm not exactly cut out for fatherhood." He explained, his voice slightly apologetic. I nodded slowly.