Book four - chapter one

Childhood is not from birth to a certain age. And then at a certain, the child has grown and has put away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies.

My feet slowly guided themselves forward slowly in white and silver heels. I was at the Malfoy's place and Pansy had told me to try on my shoes for the wedding, but I could hardly walk in them. I stopped walking just in case i tripped, and turned to Pansy.

"Um, well... You just have to keep practising in them!" Pansy exclaimed. I sighed.

"I have been practising in them for the past 3 days Pans." I replied. "Aren't I allowed to just go to the wedding barefoot?" I added. Pansy let out an over-dramatic gasp.

"No, of course not! No way!" Pansy shouted. I looked around at the garden of the Malfoy residence where our venue will be.

"Don't you think that it's a little much?" I asked quietly. "With the shoes, and the dress, and with.. Everything." I added, gesturing to the lots of white decorations of the venue.

"No, it's never too much! It's perfect!" Pansy stated. "Tomorrow will be the best day of your life, I promise." And then Blaise came over, carrying the chairs for the guests to sit on.

"Where do you want these then boss?" Blaise asked Pansy.

"On both sides of the isle please!" Pansy added. And then Blaise's wife, Daphne, came over holding some more chairs a second later.

"Which isle?" She asked. Pansy let out a loud groan and hopped down the steps over to Daphne and the venue.

"Does no one around here have any imagination!?" Pansy groaned again. I slid off the heels and slipped my trainers back on.

I glanced up at the second floor window to see Draco looking out of the window in his room down at the venue. He had an unreadable expression on. He didn't seem to notice me staring up at him though, but then Pansy blocked my view from him.

"Now, 'Mione.. I need you to go home and get some well-needed rest so you can be all ready for your big day tomorrow. That's an order!" Pansy ordered, smiling brightly. I nodded and Pansy pulled me into a quick hug, I hugged back and then we pulled apart.

---

I went home and sat at the edge of my bed with a book in hand, but my eyes kept flickering over to my engagement ring on my finger. I can't believe that I'm going to be married tomorrow. Mrs Hermione Malfoy. When I heard a noise from my window, a grin spread across my face before I even looked up. I knew who it was.

"Good evening Draco." I whispered, closing my book to look up at my future husband. Draco smiled and came to sit beside me on my bed, giving me a loving kiss in the process.

"I just wanted to see if you'd gotten cold feet." Draco whispered back as I snuggled into his side.

"'Course not. I wouldn't back out now, I'm ready for this." I stated.

"It's never too late to call it off. No one is ever ready for something this big." Draco said.

"So you're having second thoughts now?" Draco's silence answered my question. "You are? Why?" Draco eventually shook his head.

"I've been waiting all of my over 100 years to marry you Miss Granger." Draco mumbled with a small smirk. I knew that there was a 'but' coming, so I gestured for him to go on. "But I haven't told you everything about myself."

"You can't possibly frighten me away. It's too late for that, isn't it?" I half joked--mostly joked.

"Listen... A few years after Lucius made me who I am now, I turned my back on him. I decided that I needed space for what Lucius had done to me, and I went off alone. I wanted to know how it tasted, to taste humans blood. Just one taste! There was this woman, probably in her early thirties, and I decided to taste her blood, it was strong. But then I saw him. A man in his mid-twenties with a gun in his hand, following closely behind the woman. I went for him instead. And I killed more and more men, who were killing people. All the men I had ever killed, were evil monsters. And I was just like them: an evil monster." Draco explained.