chapter 19 ☹︎

B

I

L

L

I

E

    it's been around three weeks since ember and I have officially been on speaking terms. I still don't get to talk to her much though, considering whatever free time she has she spends sleeping. I don't mind though, she needs sleep, the industry can really take a toll.

My phone dings, thinking it's my dumb brother who decided to text me back after 4 hours. I swear anytime it's actually important, he decides to take the longest to reply. I smile as I look down at my phone, my heart drops to the bottom of my stomach, its ember.

ember                                                                                                                                                                                wanna come over and eat grass while watching titanic?

im vegan ember, not a cow

but you like to eat grass >:(

no, i do not >:(

yes. u. do.

okay, i ate grass ONCE as a dare

I'm just kidding silly, half an hour sound good?

hmmm, what if I'm busy though?

you arent

how do you know?

I see you on your snap map

ooooo stalker

okay let's not do that because last time I checked  when I was at Walmart you asked me to show you my undercover outfit and then told me to grab you a bag of rice

not just any rice, goya rice

Hardy har har see you in thirty :)

-

time ticks by slowly, too slowly and it's pissing me off. I glance up to the time on my phone, 8:54. I should probably start walking any minute, considering she lives right down the street from my brother. I walk back into the spare bedroom, throwing on nothing special really. just a pair of gray sweatpants and a black t-shirt.

ah, fuck boy Billie has come out to play.

I throw on some black sneakers and head out the door, double-checking that I locked the door because I'm forgetful as shit.

I walk up to the her house, passing a garden on my way. embers always like making things, paintings, drawings, plans on how to get me back for accidentally throwing out her bag of pirogies.

Okay I thought they were old in my defense.

my hand goes up to knock on the door, but of course, it hesitates. my hearts beating so fast its like I'm swimming in the middle of the ocean, but there's no land in sight.

fuck it.

My hand knocks on the door, in a pattern that's familiar to ember. We always used it to knock before coming in each other's room, kinda like a password.

I hear the door start to open, I look up to see ember peaking through the door, she opens it fully and I see a smug smile on her face. I look down at her outfit only to see, a black t shirt and gray sweatpants.